Sign in to follow this  

'06 CRF-230 - Cleaned carb and doesn't run except on choke! Help please.

I purchased this hardly used 2006 CRF-230F which hadn't been ridden in at least a couple of years. The carb bowl was crusty from the residue of old stale gas and the tank smelled like very old stale gas. I drained the gas tank (two times for good measure), cleaned the petcock filter screen and replaced the petcock o-ring. Moved on to the carburetor - Completely disassembled and cleaned in carb cleaner and blew out all jets and passages with cleaner and compressed air:foul:. Replaced the air valve unit and changed the fuel mix screw and gasket/o-ring with new. The fuel mix screw used was the early style 2005 factory instead of the "D" style removed. Should work, right? Bike will only start and run with choke on, if moved to any other position the bike immediately dies. Has a lot of back-fire, popping noise as well if that helps. I have pulled this carb apart at least a dozen times to check and redo things. I am frustrated to the point of almost purchasing a new expensive carb. Can any one help.

You could have an air leak some where between the carb and the engine. Possibly a crack in the intake.

Choke lever down = choke off

Choke lever up = choke on

Just sayin'

Thanks got the choke lever position correct. Had many brain farts in the past but not this time. It is ok to use the pre '06 fuel mix in the later models, correct?

OK, call me stupid but I finally found the problem. Since I didn't want to fill the tank full with the thought that I might have to keep pulling it off and on I had only a partial tank and was running it on reserve. Pull the fuel line and found the reserve would only "dribble" gas out, not enough to fill the bowl and keep it running. Putting more gas in the the tank with the petcock in main position and found plenty of fuel flowing - bike started right up and runs fine but the reserve position on the petcock still just dribbles. Should have started from there in the beginning! DUH, stupid, stupid, stupid. Thanks!

It is ok to use the pre '06 fuel mix in the later models, correct?
Yes, it's even preferred.

edit - glad you found the problem.

OK, call me stupid but I finally found the problem. Since I didn't want to fill the tank full with the thought that I might have to keep pulling it off and on I had only a partial tank and was running it on reserve. Pull the fuel line and found the reserve would only "dribble" gas out, not enough to fill the bowl and keep it running. Putting more gas in the the tank with the petcock in main position and found plenty of fuel flowing - bike started right up and runs fine but the reserve position on the petcock still just dribbles. Should have started from there in the beginning! DUH, stupid, stupid, stupid. Thanks!

is it normal for the reserve position to just dribble fuel?

or is something wrong with yours?

OK, call me stupid but I finally found the problem. Since I didn't want to fill the tank full with the thought that I might have to keep pulling it off and on I had only a partial tank and was running it on reserve. Thanks!

They hold about a gallon in reserve.