Sign in to follow this  

Bad CDI? RC Valve servo motor?

2002 CR 250. Picked it up last year for dirt cheap because it needed a new bottom and top end. I have been tinkering with it ever since. I rebuilt the motor and re-assembled it. When I rode it, the powerband really didn;t seem to "hit" like a smoker should. I replaced the servo cables which were very worn out. I adjusted them like the manual and TT threads have said (12mm at the rear). Still the same issue. If I take the RC valve cover off and rev it on the stand, I can see the valve opening and closing like it should. After much reading, I figured the jetting/carb might be off.....so I found a 2000 model PWK Airstriker carb on E-bay that I scored. Put that on today with proper jetting and the problem persists. It is a bit better, but still remains. I pulled the RC valve cables ff and saftey wired the valve wide open and took her for a spin. Of course the bottom end is almost non-existent, but the powerband is nice and powerfull and clear with no hesitation. What does this mean? Bad CDI? Powervalve servo motor shot? I am at a los at this point. Did the frayed cables weaken the power valve servo motor and now it is too weak to open the valve quickly? Do either of these items just go bad?,,,,or do they die over time? Any help is appreciated.:thumbsup:

Just picked up my first '02 / Rotten Crotch Valve CR, but can offer what the manual sys. (Couldn't paste an image, so here it is...).

All the manual says re testing the Servo motor is:

1. rem the cables from off it

2. rem discon the 6P connector from it

3. connect 12V battery to servo motor side of the 6p connector, and verify that s-motor spins c-clockwise (white/blk=pos) (white/green=neg)

4. reverse the connection of the battery and vberify that s-motor spins clockwise.

5. "replace if servo motor operation is abnormal".

6. check for resistance as follows: on servo motor side of the 6p connector,

measure Yellow/Red---Blue/Green. Needs 3.5--6.5 kOhms at 68F temp in the shop.

7. now connect 12V batt to servo motor side of the 6p connector, and measure resistance on servo motor side of the 6p connector using an ANALOGUE meter this time:

battery connection as follows: (white/blk=pos) (white/green=neg)

tester connection as follows: Lt. Green---Blue/Green

8. resistance is as follows: Repeat 0 to 3.5--6.5 kOhm

9. "replace if servo motor operation is abnormal".

Obviously im not there to see how the bike rides or anything but this model is really smooth. Really nice motor actually.