Sign in to follow this  

Silly (but real) question - Helmet straps

Why do football helmets have chin straps, but motorcycle (and hockey) helmets have neck straps?

Which is better?

HB

My motorcycle helmet doesn't have a strap that goes on my neck. It goes underneath my chin. Maybe you are doing something wrong if your chin strap is around your neck. Also, football helmets come off pretty easy with enough force to slide the strap off the chin. I imagine it is more difficult to pop a motorcycle helmet off with the strap underneath your chin rather than over the front of it.

My motorcycle helmet doesn't have a strap that goes on my neck. It goes underneath my chin.

OK, LOL, correction to my original post. I meant underneath the chin (not "neck straps"). LOL - my bad. :thumbsup:

HB

football helmets actually get pushed up from the bottom of the face mask (equivalent to the chin bar on an MC helmet) often. the face mask also gets pushed back in toward the face often.

if you put your MC helmet on and mimic that, you will find the strap sort of begins to strangle you. that would be no good in football. a football style chin strap does not have that problem.

also, a football style chin strap holds your jaw in place (it's hard to even talk with one on if it is adjusted correctly). something important for football, but just uncomfortable for MC riding.

a football style chin strap would likely do a bit better job of keeping a MC helmet perfectly in place, also, but they are much more uncomfortable and not really necessary for MC riding.

hockey players don't even tighten the chin strap they do have. they aren't as worried about the helmet moving around on their heads or even coming completely off.

A football helmet's chin-cup helps keep your mouth shut too. Prevent jaw injuries and chipping teeth.

More aerobic sports, like hockey, mc riding, bicycles, etc, you need to open your mouth to breathe, a chin-cup would prevent or hinder breathing.

Also in football, you WILL use your helmet, REPEATDLY.

In mc's, etc, chances are you won't....if you do, your in the wrong sport.