Sign in to follow this  

PW50 Making me crazy...er

My son as a 93 PW50 which seems to be possessed. It starts and runs fine, but then for no apparent reason it will die while he is riding. Normally it will start right back up. Sometimes it will die right away when he tries to ride off and other times it will go for hours or even days without a problem.

I have cleaned the carb (several times), replaced the gas in the tank, cleaned the electrical connections, wiggled wires trying to get it to do it in the shop. I did cut the end off the spark plug wire and put a new plug in. The interesting thing is that with the new plug it will not run the "Run" position only the "Start". But it seems to have great spark in Start and not so great in Run......

Anyone have any experience with these things? Am I missing something:banghead:

I'm not familiar with the start/run switch but it sounds like it could use a good tear down and clean and lube(or replacement). I've had many rocker type kill switches give me intermittant engine kill troubles.

Check the connection to the run switch and the wires involved. Make sure there is no short or ground fault going on in that switch itself, and lastly make sure there is a good, solid ground right there where the switch clamps to the handlebar (sand the paint down if you have to.)

The part you mentioned about it not having great spark in the "run" position makes me think it's that switch.

Is there a float switch or sensor on the oil tank? If so, look for a loose or bad connection there (or in that circuit).

Had a similar problem with pw50. Bike would run until it was warmed up then stall. Problem with the oil injector was not working. You could try putting premix in the tank and see if it will run

I had a bike do this once. After what felt like years, I traced the problem to a poor ground on the coil.

Had a similar problem with pw50. Bike would run until it was warmed up then stall. Problem with the oil injector was not working. You could try putting premix in the tank and see if it will run
I have little to offer, but it was recommended to me to run premix and forget about the oil injection system :busted:

I had a similar issue with my PW.

Here is a vid I took of it acting up

th_MAH00009.jpg

I ended up replacing the coil and it worked fine !!

I always drain the float bowl after every ride. I was tired of cleaning the carb after the bike sat for more than 2 weeks. Bad gas is hard on those little jets.

Our kids have a pw50. They will only start in the start position and you cannot rev the bike. You then Have to put it into the run position to get full power. Assume its a safety feature so you can warm up on stand without kids blastimg off into distance accidentally.

Ours is also acting up and I am sure it is due to the coil. Electrical faults can take days if not weeks to trace. I am stripping mine to replace the reeds, new carb kit, new piston, new coil and new plug. I will also rewire it and solider all the joints together to ensure no voltage drop. Have you checked and adjusted the float level. This will also do the same thing. Try running a plug one heat range hotter and see how it acts. Pw 80 and Pw 50.....are difficult engines to get running well. I came across some great information on the net when I typed in PW80 in Google. There was a chap somewhere in here that has a lot of information and experience with these engines.

Good Luck.