Sign in to follow this  

Starting fluid & your dirt bike

Would you use starting fluid to start your high performing engine?

It seems to be common when around older bikes as a way to FIRE IT UP (I guess)

Case in point...I went to look at a 79 YZ400 2 stroke...The guys said, it fires right up 1st or second kick.

He walks over, grabs the starting fluid and lays it down, kicks once (backfire), kicks again and roars to life and engine sounded good & had great power when riding around. i ended up buying it for $250 bucks

Another example:

I went looking early this spring at a early 90's KX and same deal, guy says...she is a little hard to start but once running and warmed up it lights up every time. Sure enough, he grabs the fluid and a hefty spray later and she roared to life...warmed up, shut her down and would fire off first kick? i checked the plug and it looked just right, no black oil, dark brownish

So is it ok with some bikes? or never ok? Whats the deal?????

Never use starting fluid on a two stroke as there are no lubricating properties in it. You shouldn't need it anyway on any well tuned machine.

Never.

If you need to use it to get your bike started, there is something wromng with it. Starting fluid is akin to pliers and hammers used to adjust a carb.

^^^^^

+1 the only time I've ever had to use starting fluid on a bike is when the motor is so clapped out it won't run on it's own 40 pounds of compression.

Never.

If you need to use it to get your bike started, there is something wromng with it.

What would be wrong with the bike? If bike had good compress already? Why would it need fluid 2 start instead of the kicker workin?

Never use starting fluid on a two stroke as there are no lubricating properties in it. You shouldn't need it anyway on any well tuned machine.

+10000000

If you need starting fluid, something is seriously wrong with your bike (or you, like you don't know how to start it).

What would be wrong with the bike? If bike had good compress already? Why would it need fluid 2 start instead of the kicker workin?

fuel mix screw not adjusted properly, clogged idle system, pilot jet too big (or too small), bad gas, bad plug, dirty air filter, your flooding it, bad coil, the list goes on....need more info.

IF you need it to start it, something is wrong. That said...do you have my old bike? I owned a '79 YZ400 that I used starting fluid to get it running plenty of times down in Baja. Not always sure what I was burnin out of those plastic gallon milk bottles. The next morning was often an adventure in getting the thing started.

It won't hurt it if it isn't your standard starting method. Don't go nuts though. If you find yourself buying new cans as often as changing your oil...you're doing something wrong.

IF you need it to start it, something is wrong. That said...do you have my old bike? I owned a '79 YZ400 that I used starting fluid to get it running plenty of times down in Baja. Not always sure what I was burnin out of those plastic gallon milk bottles. The next morning was often an adventure in getting the thing started.

It won't hurt it if it isn't your standard starting method. Don't go nuts though. If you find yourself buying new cans as often as changing your oil...you're doing something wrong.

Hahaha! Been there, done that....probably on the same ride as you! I never trusted those milk jugs full of funky smellin' fuel! And mannnn, did the exhaust stink something funny!👍