Sign in to follow this  

Proper break in 350 sxf ?

So I took the plunge and bought my first pumpkin 2012 350sxf. I have been a long time YZF rider but dont like the new ones at all. My question is what is the proper break in method on these bikes. The manual is kinda vague not mentioning time periods of cool downs or anything like that. All it says is do not exceed engine speed or engine performance. During first operating hour do go above 7k rpm and no more than 75% during the first 3 hrs. Do I run it and cool it down and run it again for the first hour. I know the yzf it had cool down process and what not.

Edited by nornevrder

Ride it like you stole it. No kidding! If you have it idling or ride it at low rpm when it's new, you will glaze the liner and it will burn oil later.

Start with dyno oil:

1. warm the motor with NO LOAD for 1 min (blipping and idle)

2. warm the motor with ultra light load for 2 min while varying rpm

3. run it HARD for 15 min constantly varying load and rpm.

4. let it cool to stone cold.

5. Repeat 3 times

6. change the oil (no synthetic oil yet)

7. repeat all over again one more time.

8. change to synthetic oil

NOW ride the crap out of it.

Does full synthetic come in it stock? I wana use motorex since that is what ktm uses but all I am seeing is full synthetic. I know full synthetic should not be used during the break in period do to it be to slick and not seating the piston rings correctly among other things.

Ride it like you stole it. No kidding! If you have it idling or ride it at low rpm when it's new, you will glaze the liner and it will burn oil later.

Indeed. Follow all the bullshit procedures and you will have oil blow by your rings.

Your motor has already been started and pinned at the factory. Now finish the job and match the rings to the cylinder wall:ride:

Well I am going to go riding tomorrow. Should be fun. I went and bought some maxima 4t oil non synthetic for the second oil change and will follow it up with motorex full synthetic for the 3rd oil change. I have always ran non synthetic for the first 2 oil changes on all my 4 strokes so I am not going to change now I guess even though they say nothing about it in the manual.

Im picking up a left over 11 tomorrow night and I was wondering the same thing about break in. Ive only had one brand new bike and it was a 2t 125 so I beat the balls off it to evenly wear the cyl and rings. Ive never owned a KTM though. Ive read they like the motorex oil but Ive always been a bell-ray guy because theyre based here in NJ. Im confused because Im pretty sure the bike will come with motorex since its coming from a ktm dealer. should i drain before starting and put non-synth in? What oil do I absolutly need to run in my new bike?

that article had alot of good info. im still confused on the oil part. my ktm comes with synthetic motorex in it that the dealer recomends using for break in. the article said to use non even if it came with syn in it. why is this?

that article had alot of good info. im still confused on the oil part. my ktm comes with synthetic motorex in it that the dealer recomends using for break in. the article said to use non even if it came with syn in it. why is this?

the spare oil the dealer gave you is syn, the stuff in the bike from the factory is not, and why they reccomend the first oil change at one hour, the real key is wearing in the rings BEFORE they work harden, do this by not getting things super hot for a long time, IE like someone else said run it for short periods of time, at small loads and let cool completey between those runs. a few of those then you want it to work harden