Sign in to follow this  

Thicker Grips? Call me crazy!

I am one of those that suffer from the arm pump issue. I have been riding for about 10 years and have tried everything in the book which includes technique, breathing, suspension, lots of water, bananas, motrin, stretching, rubbing icy hot on my arms before riding etc.. Some may disagree but certain people are more suspectible to arm pump than others, I am definitely one of them and this arm pump issue has really affected me over the years and has held me back from a lot as far as riding! I tried something last week before going to the track and call me crazy but it worked! I wrapped my grips with socks and taped them lol This is how desperate I am! I figured the thicker the grip, the less I will need to clench my hands around the grip to hold on or twist the throttle, thus less arm pump. I also figured the added cushion from the socks wouldnt hurt. Well it really worked for me and I felt extremely comfortable on the bike with the thicker grips:ride: The main problem I had was the tape (electrical) comming off towards the end of the day, obviously! Is there anywhere that sells thicker grips so I dont have to look ridiculous at the track with my socks and electrical tape:smirk:

Pillowtops? I really like them and have larger hands

Those look better than my standard grip but they dont look too much thicker. I'm talking a little less than the thickness of a 16oz water bottle.

Pro Taper pillow tops are the thickest grips on the market, and I wouldn't have it any other way!.

If the pillowtops are the thickest I will have to give them a try! Thank you

Try the Pro Taper rally grips, i broke my hand a couple years back and those are the only ones i could hold on with. they are the bigest grips i have found.

Pro Taper pillow tops are the thickest grips on the market, and I wouldn't have it any other way!.

Not by any means. Pro Grip has several thicker options and they last longer. Oury also.

I also want to try some thicker grips, but I want full waffle. Anything less than full waffle just plain doesn't work in the mud. Any suggestions?

I love the Tag Cradle grip. They are thick, and the soft version is ridiculously soft (I actually run the medium for this reason - soft is too soft!)

I'm like you though; I need a thicker grip. I often run a wrap or two of cloth tape underneath the grips before installing them so the grip has a larger diameter, also. It works wonders for me and cuts down on arm pump.

I have big hands and tried the fat Oury grip. I think it's called a road grip or street grip but it's made just like the MX grips only a little fatter. For some reason they wore my arms out and I had to go back to a standard grip. ???

Ive highly considered the thick foam ones that they used to put on the old bikes. The thicker grips give your throttle a quick turn cammed throttle effect, wich is an added bonus.

i've been trying to figure a way to get my favorite bmx grips on my bike, but they have a really small ID and already have a hard enough time sliding onto 7/8" bars with grip glue. i don't think they'll fit over the throttle tube. odi longnecks are the best. last forever and they're soft as hell. pretty thick too.

i've been trying to figure a way to get my favorite bmx grips on my bike, but they have a really small ID and already have a hard enough time sliding onto 7/8" bars with grip glue. i don't think they'll fit over the throttle tube. odi longnecks are the best. last forever and they're soft as hell. pretty thick too.

Get an air compressor and slide the nozzle under the grip and as you pull the grip on give it blasts of air.

I'm not a huge fan Pillow Tops. They really wear my hands out (callous formation) and they aren't much larger in diameter.

I did put a set of Pro Grips 714's on my CR250 and they are great. Very large and plush. They actually compress when you squeeze them, providing some feedback as to how hard you are holding on. So, you realize you're death gripping them and can loosen your grip.