Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Dual-Sport Suggestions

I'm seriously considering a dual-sport and would like to get opinions.

I would use it on paved roads maybe 20 miles max at a time. Rarely, if ever on freeway. Fire roads to single track most of the time. I would want something to ride Gifford trails if heavy connecting road use is in the loop. If roads aren't in the picture I will be on my 250xc.

I know about the honda XR's and would prefer something with better power to weight ratio. KTM 530's are an option and I really like the 2012 500 exc with FI but $10k would put a big dent in the bank account. The Husqvarna 510 looks like an option but I don't know much about Husqvarna such as parts availability and years to stay away from if there are any.

Thoughts on the Husky or other bikes would be appreciated.

The TE450/510 is a fine compromise. I have 2006 TE450 for my trail biased dual sport riding, a TE610 for less trail oriented and gravel/commute uses, and a street bike for the long haul pavement runs. At times while trail riding I long for a lighter TE310 but I do appreciate the ability of the 450 to haul 60mph for 30 miles down a pavement connector. It is light and rugged enough to take trail abuse, but the poor turning radius and extra few pounds over a 300 class bike are noticed. Still it goes virtually everywhere. My son also has a TE450 and we both have the larger 3.4 gallon tanks and get 113-135 mile ranges. That comes in handy for places like Moab. That range adds some more weight.

the older model TE's can be had pretty inexpensively (especially compared to the KTMs) since you have a 250XC I'd aim in that direction. There's also the new TE 449 and its cheaper than a KTM, and from the reports I've read, very comparable. The KTM does have a wider tranny, but if you're not going to be doing any stints on the highway its probably a moot point. If the KTM is expensive, I don't think you'll want any part of the Husaberg.

After reading and talking about the options I think I'll stay with KTM. The wheels are interchangeable and with an extra set already this is appealing. Also, for some reason the Husky doesn't seem to hold it's value as well as KTM. I'll probably be visiting the KTM dealer next week.

Doug

The 12 KTM 350 and 500 XCW and EXC are really good. Call Don at L and D in Astoria for a really good deal.

X 2 on Don....

But, I have a XR 650L. Yes, no gutts, sort of ok suspension, at least for

fire - roads. Heavy, small stock tank, be prepared to remove a bunch of plumbing to uncork the Big Red Pig. In short, there is nothing - repeat nothing

technically superior let alone even the above bikes ... But...

No radiators can be a good thing if your on a real back country tour and you dump it. Super reliable, very baisc yet proven design. Quite alot of after market bling out there. As far as speed, I have seen several with Mikuni Pumper or FCR coupled with a mild grind cam and a good exhaust can make a real difference. USD 450 CRF forks also help. Compared to the other Jap bikes for Dual Sporting, its a real option for anybody.

Good luck