Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Mixture Screw making no difference

So I rejetted with the JD kit did 3x3 and installed the Keintech extended fuel screw. The bike starts runs and idles perfectly. Tightening or loosening the fuel mixture screw seems to make no difference in the idle.

Not too concerned because it is running perfectly and yes the spring washer and o-ring are all in there. Just thought I would see what you guys think.

2007 DRZ400s. Jetted according to the Specs for 4000 to 8000 foot elevation since I live up in Big Bear Lake.

Thanks for the wealth of information on this forum using the search!

Installed the #25 pilot jet from the kit and #150 main jet with red needle #3 clip position from the top. my house sits at about 6,500 feet.

Fires right up every time no choke needed.

what exhaust? stock?

to give you reference, im at sea level, i have extended fuel screw, 25 pilot 160 main, 2.5 turns extended, mrd 3x3 k and n jd jet kit stage 2

Installed the #25 pilot jet from the kit and #150 main jet with red needle #3 clip position from the top. my house sits at about 6,500 feet.

Fires right up every time no choke needed.

I would drop the pilot jet back, what did you have before, 22.5?

Yes stock exhaust and mikuni carb. Thanks for the info. I don't want to bother anyone in a pm so if they chime in cool if not I will see if I can search for the answer or figure it out.

take care

jeff

Yes stock exhaust and mikuni carb. Thanks for the info. I don't want to bother anyone in a pm so if they chime in cool if not I will see if I can search for the answer or figure it out.

take care

jeff

Hey Jeff, It's always a pleasure to help out a fellow TTer when I can...👍

Bike came with 25 pilot and 152.5 main. The plug was already drilled out of the stock fuel screw when I got under there.

Bought the bike from a guy who worked Corporate for Suzuki and it only had 2000 miles on it. It was used in the show Epic Ride.

Am I going to harm anything riding it until I can get my hands on a stock 22.5 pilot?

thanks guys!

jeff

No harm done...just a tad rich idle and maybe save same wear and tear on your choke lever...lol......basically ,the pj controls your idling circuit, needle for mid throttle and main jet for full throttle..

Cool thanks guys. I really did not want to pull the carb again right away anyways. Damn pain in the ass. I will start another thread with my before and after pics of this bike since I am new here. First bike in 15 years since I had a lil suzuki 80 when I was young. Already put 2000 dirt miles on it here in the mountains of Big Bear in the 2 months I have had it and I am addicted!

might be perfect now but once temps warm up again it will prob. be to FAT/RICH.... go ride it hard for a bit and pull the plug.. will tell ya right away what its doing....

With 3X3 mod and stock exhaust

150 Main jet

JD Red needle

Clip 4

Stock 22.5 Pilot jet with extended screw

2.75 turns Fuel screw

:ride: i would say your pilot is to small since your out 2.75 turns on the pilot... 👍

might be perfect now but once temps warm up again it will prob. be to FAT/RICH.... go ride it hard for a bit and pull the plug.. will tell ya right away what its doing....

Temps are only going to get colder. In the summer it never gets over 80 degrees Fahrenheit up here.

Good luck with accurately reading the plug with modern unleaded fuels with additives....When the bike is pulling clean without stumbling,surging or hesitation is a reasonably way to benchmark it's jetting...

:worthy: i would say your pilot is to small since your out 2.75 turns on the pilot... 👍

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405 :ride:

basically ,the pj controls your idling circuit, needle for mid throttle and main jet for full throttle..

Thank you! I think this kind of info should be in the FAQ. 👍

I've got a similar problem, 22.5 (stock) PJ, 155 Main jet, Dynojet needle and spring and the extended fuel screw and there doesn't seem to be any difference whether its turned in or out.

I even adjusted the idle right down and couldn't get a change.

(bike has 3x3, MRD, K&N air filter and I live in sydney so ~sea level)

any ideas?