Starting - 2012 CRF 250R

I would suggest checking the valve clearances and intake track to make sure the manufacturer didnt screw anything up. I just got a '12 as well...its not as easy to start as I thought it would be, but it always starts after a couple hard kicks...even if I dont have the high idle knob pulled. Also, for me, it starts best if I do not touch the throttle at all. If I even try to give it the slightest bit of gas the bike doesnt even attempt to start.

Mine was like that too. After 5 hours it seems to start better. Im sure you know this but start from TDC, a nice full stroke you dont need to kick the crap out of it. set the idle at 2200 rpm too. give or take a few 100;.

On a different note...I would highly recommend stripping the bike down and torquing all the bolts and lubing pivot points. I just completed this today and there were several bolts barely hand tight...my front axle nut was at most 10 ft-lbs and it was supposed to be 65 ft-lbs.

your dealer put your wheel on

You guys are making this way to complicated. On my '10 and on the '12 pull the knob out when it's cold, and give it a few short quick kicks like a 125 and it starts very easy. When it's warm do the same thing without pulling the knob out. The bike is fine, just try my method and you'll save yourself a lot of swearing and exhaustion. I never worry about starting my bike on the starting line because it starts very easy this way.

Mine was like that too. After 5 hours it seems to start better. Im sure you know this but start from TDC, a nice full stroke you dont need to kick the crap out of it. set the idle at 2200 rpm too. give or take a few 100;.

No you don't need tdc and a full kick.

Thanks for the advice.

He had a 2010 which used to start with no problem - TDC and no throttle.

This bike has 4 hours on it so hopefully it will improve as it runs in.

Will also set the idling - it was idling a bit slow.

Jeez, you guys are exhausted after kicking a 250F over? I assume that since it's cold you're just starting your day out so you should be pretty fresh too. Maybe you should take it as an omen and put the bike back away. Lemme guess, you have one of those lift stands as well?

Sorry had to be a little sarcastic guys

My '12 used to start fist kick and now it takes 3-4 after it has set a few weeks. I'm thinking it just doesn't like old gas. Once I get it going (with the start "daisy" wheel pulled out) it settles into a nice smooth idle and even after just a 10-15 minutes sitting, I have to pull the daisy wheel starter button out to get it started. Seems to cool down very quick.

I have the same bike and experience the same problem every once in a while. I have 12 hours on my bike and it's getting easier to start. I give mine two slow kicks, wait about ten seconds, then it takes about three fast repetive kicks to fire with the fast idle knop pulled when it's cold.

Once the bike is warm it starts fairly easily.

This is my 15th new bike in 18 years of riding and I've never had something that is this hard to start. It also gets fuel in the crankcase oil. I made punch marks on my dipstick and the oil level rises slowly! Not cool!

My bubby and I both have 12, 250's and they both take some time to start cold. This will get better as the bike breaks in. We both got 09, 450 when they came out and they were hard to start when they were new but got a whole lot easier when they broke in. They went from 20 to 30 kicks cold to about 6 to 10 kicks. I put a little over 2 hard hours on my 12, 250 in the woods this weekend and the bike took less kicking on the second day. Once hot the bike starts 1st kick every time. Love this bike in the woods!

Stewart Frank

12 CRF250R