2003 Crf450r: Manual Timing Chain Tensioner VS Stock Spring Loaded Tensioner

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The cheapest way to fix a stock chain tensioner is to:

1. Remove the circlip on the tensioner.

2. Carefully remove the extender piece from the base. There may be a tight ribbon spring attached.

3. Remove the ribbon spring and reinstall extender

4. Install the tensioner on the bike

5. Adjust by turning counter clockwise until firm then back up 1/4 turn

6. Throw away the adjustment cover screw

7. Replace the cover screw with a longer one that will bottom out

8. Apply blue locktite to cover screw and install until cover screw bottoms out.

My '04 tensioner failed the hand push test at 200hrs, no damage to the motor and it wasn't making any funny noises. If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy the manual tensioner just for fun.

Edited by corndog

• 1 year later...

I know this is a super old thread, but where's a good service shop in SoCal that has good experiecing installing these? Specifically 06 CRF450R.  I don't trust the instructions of "slapping and clanking" and want it done correctly.

Where in socal. I can do it for you, or show you how. PM me for details. Ive only done about 40 of them......

I know this is a super old thread, but where's a good service shop in SoCal that has good experiecing installing these? Specifically 06 CRF450R. I don't trust the instructions of "slapping and clanking" and want it done correctly.

How I do it is I install the two main bolt and gasket. Then I put my finger right under the cam gear on the chain and tighten the Manuel tensioner until I can barely move it in. Not too tight but def tight enough where it can't get enough slack to jump a gear. If you can hear the chain slapping when it's idling then you'll know it's too loose if you think you might of not tightened it enough.

• 3 months later...

Called Justin at TokyoMods. He said the auto tensioner over tightens the chain, creating drag. The manual one is adjusted perfectly and allows the chain to move more freely. Less drag = more HP.

Its expensive, but comes with instructions and great support.

I have their 10x ignition mapping w switch and carb mod, and I have asked Justin quite a few questions over the years ?