Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Tank Bolt Insert Spinning

I have a 2011 310 and one of the fuel tank inserts that bolts the shroud on to the tank spins in place so I can't remove the bolt.

I tried applying upward pressure while turning the bolt and I can't get it to grab.

I'm afraid if I forcibly remove the insert I'll expose the interior of the fuel tank.

Any suggestions?

I have a 2011 TXC 250 that spun an insert. It can be forced out with a thin screwdriver. Pry up while spinning the bolt. You won't expose the inner tank, there are molded pockets at each insert. Trim the top edge of the hole in the tank with a file or exacto knife so the insert will go back in. Remove the bolt from the insert. Fill the hole with JB weld, screw the bolt lightly back into the insert and press the insert back into the tank. Clean up excess weld. Remove the bolt and make sure the threads are clean of JB. Let it set over night and you are ready to go. Use a little grease on the bolts when reinstalling. I also have an 08 TE 510 that spun three from new. Repaired them this way and they are still holding. Hope this helps!

I had that problem a couple of times with the stock tank so I used a drill to spin it right out, then pulled it out, cleaned it up and glued back in with Araldite.

I don't have that problem since installing a long-range Safari tank (2009 TE510).