Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Twist Throttle

Anyone ever put a twist throttle on a Raptor, or like Quad? I am looking to put one on my wifes. She doesnt go fast or climb hills just likes to roam about behind the kids and always complains about a sore thumb.

Just wondering if there is a kit out there or if anyone has had any expierince. I rode a friends Banshee that had one years ago.

JJ....a twist throttle would be a huge mistake for any rider that is not well seasoned. I would stick with the thumb throttle and find a lighter tension return spring.

Over the years, I know lots of folks who put a twister on, and know what, absolutely none of them kept them for any length of time (and some of these were guys who have ridden dirt bikes all their lives).

Only place I would have one, is if I rode wide open all the time, like desert racing or something like that.

Edited by reconranger

I ran a twist throttle for desert Hare Scrambles, but ONLY then. It came off immediately afterwards. Even loading the quad in the truck became a dangerous affair with the twist throttle....no kidding.

I have run a twist throttle since i got my quad, and i have never had any problems with accidentally pinning it around corners or whatever like everyone says always happens.. I think there is really no way to know if it will work for your wife unless you just buy one and try it..

Twist throttle on ATV but that depend on what kind of quad and how light it is and the type trails more so it is hard one that because you loose that ability to push and pull it around. with the thumb throttle, you can pull and tug on the bars and still control thottle position.

I have a twist on my '01 rappy. Still haven't deciced if I'm gonna keep it on. I do see the potential for getting in a bind.

twist throttle is one of the first mods i do on a quad. Ive been riding years and never had a problem with whiskey throttle

• Like 1

I have one on my '86 LT250R. IMO it's the best thing since sliced bread. I personally feel there is more throttle control with the twist instead of the thumb throttle. I have been riding dirt bikes since forever though so that may be why I think that.

All in all it's rider preference. Like Tagels said, you'll never know until you try.

Over the years, I know lots of folks who put a twister on, and know what, absolutely none of them kept them for any length of time (and some of these were guys who have ridden dirt bikes all their lives).

Only place I would have one, is if I rode wide open all the time, like desert racing or something like that.

Not sure as to why to be honest, we have had twist throttles on everything that ever been at our place from my 525 to my fathers sportsman 800, never go back. So much easier to ride (in my opinion), no more sore thumb and just feels more natrual.

I prefer a twist throttle over thumb throttle but my wife hates it she insists on having the thumb. It comes down to personal preference. I’d convert it for her you can order a Motion Pro kit and if she does not like it swap it back. I don’t agree with the twist being dangerous unless the rider is extremely inexperienced or it’s installed wrong or sticking. All issues that happen with thumb throttles as well.

Twist throttles are the way to go. I've had them on my last 4 quads and would never "turn" back to the thumb throttle. We rode dice runs loaded with tall hills, mud, mud, mud, rocks and any other trail hazzard you could add with no issues. One quad I sold with the twist on it and the buyer converted all his other quads to twists after riding mine.