Sign in to follow this  

I need some ideas

I sold my 250x today got $2400 out of it and now its time to look for my "new" ktm. I am going to look at an 07 ktm 144 on sunday but I've done some reading that the crank goes and theres something in the top half that catches on the exhaust port and stops the motor. I'm just wondering if these bikes are good or if they are prone for problems. Let me konw every ones opinion.

There were problems with some 07 144 s swhile some were fun. If you do your homework you can check part numbers on various parts to see if it got the updates. Like I said several parts got updated but one fast easy one to check is the cdi.

I would highly suggest you look at the top end before purchase. If the owner wont let you look inside plan on atbleast a full rebuild and who knows what else. You would need to get it cheap.

Lots of folks would suggest pulling it apart without running it, selling the crank, head, cal etc and converting to a 200.

$.02 no charge.

He said his brother is a mechanic and he went through it and said it was all good. I was going to ask my buddy to go because his step-son has an 08 but after hearing they had motor problems I probably will just pass on it.

Here is what I know on that bike. The piston needs to be replaced after 10 hours. I guess they had a bad batch of pritons. There are rumors floating around about all kinds of recalls from the crank, cylinder, head, or CDI. ALL are false. Call KTM and they will tell you the same thing.

Some people have had bad luck and some good. I was one of the people that had good luck. My 2008 144 never so much as farted, it ran perfect.

If it is unknown what piston is in it, replace it. If the price it right and it is in good shape I would buy it;)

How much is the asking price? If it is on the high side you may want to keep looking. About the only way I would by that bike is if it is cheap, it has some very good parts on it that I could use to turn it into a 200 or 125. If the price is high then there are plenty of bikes out there that do not have the question mark behind them.

Joe...........

He said the lowest he would go would be 2350 I will offer him 2300 flat. My buddies step-son has an 08 ktm 144 so he knows what to look for on them I'm going to ask him to go with me tomorrow. So what do I need to ask the guy about the motor problems just ask him if he has ever put a piston in it? Here's a link of the bike: http://muskegon.craigslist.org/mcy/2572244036.html

Well the add say re-built but I would ask. Find out what piston went in. That bike is going to be a hard sell so keep that in mind if you buy it.

Joe.......

Hi im new here , recently ( about a month ago ) i bought a ktm 125 sx 2000 model for £900 and have had to fix the exhaust , back wheel and changed the plug on it but yesterday my friend was out on it and it just died ... he said it just bogged out but the bike is getting very very low compression so im thinking the piston and or rings have went , YOU CAN ALSO KICK THE KICKSTART ALL THE WAY TO THE FOOT PEG THATS NOT RIGHT EH ? was just wondering if any1 could help me out , do you need to re-sleeve the barrel every time you change the piston ? please get back to me as soon as possible because im really gutted after just spending like a grand on it n it to be sitting like that thanks in advance.