Sign in to follow this  

best bike for $5000

im going to look for a dualsport at the dealer tomorow. what bike would be good to get. il be doing about 50/50 dirt to street and have 5 grand cash to spend. im 6'3 and 200 lbs.

im realy thinking about the dr650 but not sure if i can get the down to 5000.

May not be one at the dealer but you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand one with lots of fruit already on for less than that.

I've seen posts where people got them OTD for $4900.00. This is the time of year to make a deal. Many people stop riding and dealers are happy to make money if they can. You might even be able to get a leftover for a nice price.

to be perfectly honest it's almost plain silly to buy a new one. Nothings changed on them, not much can go wrong, and it sucks when you drop a new bike

DR 650. works for both street and dirt, has great support and after market.

to be perfectly honest it's almost plain silly to buy a new one. Nothings changed on them, not much can go wrong, and it sucks when you drop a new bike

it is very hard finding a used dual sport around me. there the only legal way of rideing a dirt bike in nj

hold out and find a used one all farkled up...5 grand is a lot of green..and no need to have a brand new DR as there are plenty with very low miles out there.. just my 2centz

2008 suzuki DR650 on off road - $2800

Date: 2011-10-14, 10:19AM EDT

Reply to: sale-t4qna-2649203507@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

bike is clean with no issues.

this is a great price for end of season deal.

call/text 518 879 3922

ready to go!!

no spam, serious inquiry's only please

or this one

2009 DR650 SuperMoto - $5500 (Norwich)

Date: 2011-10-04, 1:07AM EDT

Reply to: sale-sxgzx-2631451190@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2009 suzuki dr650 se black 2,400 MILES still brand new under warrenty til next april, black sm wheels and conti sm tires, renthal pro tapers and renthal upper triples, acerbis front sm fender and hand guards. dr 250 tail light, dxx front headlight number plate combo, racetech front and rear springs, vapor computer, 90*fuel filter, MXROB pumper yzf 450 carb, twin airfilter, modded air box lid, ground header flange, Pro circuit T-4 slip on pipe, shorter kickstand, runs mint no issues at all. have TITLE in hand and all dealer paperwork.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0

thanks for looking for me but there all to far away. im in south nj.

the dealer has a 96 klr 650, 4000 miles. said $2500 and salesman came over and said he would do $2000 without hagleing . kbb says 1700 so im sure i can get it cheaper just not sure i want something that old. what do you think?

Some things are worth a bit more effort and inconvenience... 👍 This would be one of those situations... don't settle for something just because you tripped over it walking out your front door. :ride: I know, probably easy for me to say since I don't live in Jersey. But if you have any thoughts of adding goodies to any machine you pick up you will be far better off finding one that has already had a list started in the direction you'd be interested in going. No one gets their money back out of FARKLES sold with the machine.

I found one for $1,600 on ADV Rider, but it's a 98. If you can't find one already farkeled go the cheaper route if you want to ride long, fast and off road becasue you'll be spending an additional $1,500 on it. Or for a little more cash you could get a used KTM690 (beast). There are several used on ADV Rider for around 7K.

well i just got home from puting a deposit down on a 04 ktm 625. hopefully il be out rideing sunday. 👍

You won't regret it. I still like the DR but the KTM for 50/50 riding will work much better. I'm eyeballing a KTM 690 EXC but the price is just a wee bit steep. I'll likely hang on to my DR and wait for some more used 690s to start poping up next year.

Hey y'all! New on here. Just picked up a new DR650. Traded in a DL1000 on Tuesday 18 October. Love everything about the bike. Except the damn seat.

Needed something more off road capable than the DL1000. which was way too low and heavy. Any advice from other owners?

Hey y'all! New on here. Just picked up a new DR650. Traded in a DL1000 on Tuesday 18 October. Love everything about the bike. Except the damn seat.

Needed something more off road capable than the DL1000. which was way too low and heavy. Any advice from other owners?

Seat Concepts...

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

Thanks for the info. The stuff on that site make me drool.

I can already see spending much greenbacks.

I believe the DR I th best bang for the buck. Out of the new models.

The price tag is a scant over 5 grand brand new delivered.

Sure the KTM may be a monster of a bike.

By there are advantages to the DR. You can afford it brand new!

It is off road thrashable, on road commutable, able to do long haul touring ( with a better seat. It is damn light an maneuverable in just about any situation.

Can't beat the 56mpg either. No it's not a Hyabusa killer. But it does what it does well.

And for those of us with R1200GS dreams but a balogna and cheese budget. It works financially.

No it's not a Hyabusa killer

A Miata will give a stock DR650 a run for the money:p:banghead:

I love the DR I just bought two weeks ago. Brand new 2011.

Better than what I read about the KLR burning oil.

Less plastic pretty parts to break than the KLR.

The KLR is only 40 lbs lighter than my DL1000 Vstrom.

Can you say Moooooo?

And the thing about the DR's seat.

I've done 150 miles on it. And had no problem.

It wasnt a lazyboy. But I also didn't get off it. And walk like I just got out of prison.