Sign in to follow this  

Obstacle course photos posted....

I was asked for details on how I built my dirt bike teeter totter, and more recently, my trials bike wheelie/holding pressure ramp....so I took some photos today before the rain resumed and posted a bunch up on my web site, for those that are curious and/or want to build their own stuff.

You can find a link to the Obstacle Course page here: Purple Beast's Obstacle Course

Enjoy!

I was asked for details on how I built my dirt bike teeter totter, and more recently, my trials bike wheelie/holding pressure ramp....so I took some photos today before the rain resumed and posted a bunch up on my web site, for those that are curious and/or want to build their own stuff.

You can find a link to the Obstacle Course page here: Purple Beast's Obstacle Course

Enjoy!

Hey, thanks for posting that link. Now I just need to find enough boards to get everything made and in place. And figure out how to keep other riders off my obstacles. (my course is in an empty lot in town that has several other non-trials riders who use it for a quick ride... :ride: Maybe a set of wheels on them to move them in and out? 👍

I made a backyard trials course mainly with pallets and logs 4 years ago. Here is how it looked back then.

sections_pallets.jpg

After 4 years half the pallets have rotted and had to be tossed and some of the logs have turned into mulch. Many of the pallets have held up quite well and can last several more years. I've found that placement is important. Don't place on flat ground and areas that collect water. Moisture and termites are the enemy. On a slope is best and elevated on cinder blocks. The wood needs to be kept free of debris so it can dry easily so don't let leaves and pine needles collect.

Pallets with fork lift cutouts fall apart first so I wouldn't use them. I got a bunch of free pallets from a paint store and they are stronger and little smaller than the usual ones and don't have cut outs. I'm thinking of covering the top with concrete board to keep leaves from falling in the gaps. I'm also going to try a mixture of kerosene and roofing tar to waterproof the wood. If you are going to buy wood, go for the pressure treated.

Another method is elevating logs on rocks, blocks and concrete. The logs can last a long time if they don't contact the ground and kept away from termites.

My materials of choice now are concrete, metal and cement. I've been making 2'x3' concrete slabs that I can easily move around for different configurations. Next I'm going to cover some of the wood with metal lath and a layer of cement. One thing I've learned about concrete is you need to let it cure for at least a month before riding on it or else it will crack.