Sign in to follow this  

Dana 60 front axles

I have been searching and searching and cannot find a clear answer. I know this would be better posted at Pirate 4x4 but i thought i would give the TT guys a shot.

I have a 4x4 that is in need of a D60. its an 82 chevy.

i have the following options.

1. buy a bare housing for 150. no carrier, no axles, no knuckles, no diff cover even!

2 buy a complete axle for about 1200. it has everything including 4.10 gears.

i hate to admit i dont know what my current 14 bolt rearend has, i think i was told 3.73. they are just place holders at the moment.

The goal is to go to 4.88 gears with lockers front (arb) and rear (detroit). the truck will be on 40 in tires

if i am going to be spending money on gears and lockers, should i just buy the bare housing and build the axle myself?

or should i get a runner that i dont have to spend as much money on? I do not have the intention of upgrading the knuckes or axles as i strongly believe a stock d60 will handle everything i will put it through.

Thanks guys!

If you're going to be gutting everything out of it anyway I'd get a bare housing and build it up. No use spending more money than you have to.

Steve

Good choice, cuz you'll spend way more than a grand on items like knuckles, shafts, ball joints, rotors, lockouts, etc.

Even if you do a gear swap, or stuff a locker in, you're still money ahead.