Sign in to follow this  

need help with new chain

hey

picked up my new chain and sprockets today

how do i get my old chain off i cant find the special link??

also how do i fit the new chain?

thanks

2 options: Cut the old chain or remove the swing arm to remove the old chain.

You can cut the old chain with a grinder or use a purpose built chain breaker. If the suspension joints need service, then just take the swing arm off and remove the chain as part of the suspension service.

hey

picked up my new chain and sprockets today

how do i get my old chain off i cant find the special link??

also how do i fit the new chain?

thanks

as Noble said, if you're going to do the suspension, take the swingarm off to do this. seeing that you're asking how to replace a chain, I'll guess that maybe suspension work might be a little further along the learning curve for you and I'll stick with the chain.

the special link is called a master link and yours is probably a pressed on version that you won't recognize, so don't worry about looking for it.

park the bike on the sidestand. sit yourself down so you're looking at the left hand side of the bike (where the rear sprocket is) and find the furthest link towards the back of the bike, it'll be pointing straight up and down. the chain is still on the sprocket and you'll be looking at the link at the 3oclock spot if the rear sprocket was a clock.

get your grinder and and gring off the little rivets and right into the face place that the rivets come through. grind until you have one big smooth shiny plate and if you do it right, you'll be able to see an outline of the rivets that used to be there that you ground off.

get a crappy flatblade screwdriver or a small chisel and a hammer. put the edge between the plate you ground into and the part of the link that rides on the sprocket. you're going to smack that plate and separate it from the chain, if you do it right, you'll see it pop off and the chain will stay on the bike minus the plate. if you have to hit it too hard or too much, grind more then do it again.

remove the link from the chain and let the bottom portion of the chain fall off while the top portion stays on the sprocket.

get your new chain.

put the piece that held the old chain together through the top hole in the old chain and the first open hole in the new chain.

lift up slightly, make sure the bike's in neutral and pull the bottom portion of the old chain so it draws the new chain through (you have the two chains linked loosely together here as one long unit) keep pulling on the bottom portion until the new chain has run around and through and then unlink it from the old chain.

put the new master link riveted piece through the links.

push the faceplate on the new links.

you need the new master link to be at 3oclock where you started with the old chain.

if you get a clip type master link, point the opening down on the first rivet. the closed end of the clip will rotate forward.

as it sits on the link, set the edge of your screwdriver on the closed end, (this is kind of tricky until you get the hang of it) the screwdriver is at a 90 degree angle to the clip and is pointed in towards the sprocket in the same direction as the rear axle.

hit the blade of the screwdriver to pop the clip on.

keep your eyes protected and do this somewhere you can find the link if you pop it off and get it wrong.

adjust your new chain.

thanks guys

got the old chain off no problem, with the grinder then decided to grease the swingarm

now just fiddling with that master link