Sign in to follow this  

CRF50 carburetor questions

All it took was one tank of untreated gas that sat for a 2 months and my trusty 04 CRF50 refused to start.

I've taken the carb off (the bowel was filled with crud) cleaned and rebuilt it with a moose kit.

1. What is a good default start positions for the idle and air screw? How many turns out? I see 1 3/4 for the air screw talked about, any idea on the idle?

2. Is the OEM an 18mm sized Keihin?

3. The pilot jet is fixed and non adjustable or removable on these carbs correct?

4. Should a thin wire, pass through the pilot jet? I can get a wire to go in about 1/2" then it stops.

With these answers, I think I can finally get this bike up and running well again. Thanks

Start with the air screw at 1 1/2 turns out from gently seated. As for the idle screw, it's hard to say. Try one turn in from where the crew contacts the slide. If you have it in too far, then your idle will be too high, so not really a big deal unless you have it all the way in and then the engine will rev like mad.

Regarding the pilot, I haven't had a need to try to remove the pilot, but I've noticed it's not shown in the exploded view of the carb. It all depends what your definition of "thin" is. Your best bet is to blow it out with compressed air if available, or fill the jet up with carb cleaner and let it soak for a good long time if you think it's still plugged. Some people will use a single strand of wire to try to clear the pilot.

some of the pilot jets are pressed in....they can be removed by twisting them slightly while pulling....however, this may not work on all carbs...tread lightly........but once you get it out, you can be sure if it is plugged or not....replace by tapping it lightly into place