Sign in to follow this  

why did i break my wrist??

last saturday I was hitting my 50ft table top in my back yard that I have hit 100 times, i decided to make a shorter run at it to see if I could still clear it, next thing I know I am totally sideways in the air try to decide to bail or try to ride away.... not sure what choice i picked cause neither worked. what did i do wrong? there is only one rut cut into the face, I had good position, knees tight on the tank. the only thing I did different was accelerated harder coming up to the jump, the divits in the ground clearly show I didnt come up short, the tail just got kicked way out to the side and I was not ready for it at all. I have gotten sideways a little, only once have they made me crash bad on sand track jumps before but never really on a good solid dirt jump. hey but I got a free screw that I get to keep in my left wrist forever!:thumbsup:

could be a number of things, kicker in the jump. to much rebound in the shock. moisture on the takeoff with a lot of acceleration will make you slip out sideways. body position. choppy on the throttle instead of smooth power..

Some times the world aligns diffrently and you managed to be alligned opposite.. Unfortunatly. I imagine you probably had your front wheel in the rut while being hard on the gas your rear did not quite go in and thus you were not ready for the pull and it just kept going.. Unfortunatly with out being there it's hard to say.. a kicker is amplified more the more power you're putting down due to the fact rear end is squatted more.. Theres a crap load of reasons this might have happened..

last saturday I was hitting my 50ft table top in my back yard that I have hit 100 times, i decided to make a shorter run at it to see if I could still clear it, next thing I know I am totally sideways in the air try to decide to bail or try to ride away.... not sure what choice i picked cause neither worked. what did i do wrong? there is only one rut cut into the face, I had good position, knees tight on the tank. the only thing I did different was accelerated harder coming up to the jump, the divits in the ground clearly show I didnt come up short, the tail just got kicked way out to the side and I was not ready for it at all. I have gotten sideways a little, only once have they made me crash bad on sand track jumps before but never really on a good solid dirt jump. hey but I got a free screw that I get to keep in my left wrist forever!:thumbsup:

Sounds like you lose tracktion and spun sideways off the jump. If that's not it maybe the following will help you.

Getting sideways off jumps when you don’t intend to is 9 times out of 10 because you’re hitting an uneven face upon take off. Think of a quad when it jumps off an uneven face; like where the two left wheels are higher than the two right wheels, your going to get sideways big time. It’s the same kind of an affect with a M/C. If there is a rut, a dished out area, a little rock or anything uneven about the place where the tires actually leave the ground it’s going to make you go sideways.

The best way to solve this problem and keep your short clean is to make sure you take off in the center of the rut or dished out area, make sure you’re taking off on even ground. If there is no even ground you have to compensate for the sideways pitch.

The other possibility is that he’s weighting one foot peg way more then the other.

This is explained in visual detail on my Basic Jumping and Launching Technique DVD. You can see a free preview and/or order it online at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-3-all-about-jumps-whoops/ Or find the download at: www.mxraceschool.com

I hope this helps.

DVD 3 front  COVER.jpg

how do i correct if this happens in the future so I dont break more bones

You broke your wrist because you crashed !. you don't want broken bones Don't crash:thumbsup: or get better at crashing:smirk:

It happens to all of us, i am guessing you hit it alot harder than usual becouse of the shorter aproche. By harder i mean harder on the gas, More throttle makes for more compression and more rebound and if your not expecting it ,it will toss you.

good luck with your practicing.

I have rode bikes that track straight, back to back with bikes that didnt fly right on the same jump. The bikes that get squirly almost always had a suspension set up issue. Maybe with your hard acceleration up the face of the jump, and a diffrent load on the suspension made it kick...just a thought.

Not sure how qualified I am to give advice on jumping as I'm new to mx. But I HAVE had the same problem. There is a step up at the local track right out of a turn that I have trouble getting. Kept taking off and getting sideways in the air and barely riding it out every time. I just make sure to get as straight/level as possible on approach and preload a little bit to plant the bike and as mentioined if you're weighting one foot peg more than the other it'll help plant your bike. Ane the other thing I learned is to steer with my legs. There's a big tall table that is probly 50 ft or so and kinda off camber (Naturally the bike wants to whip which was kinda sketchy until I got used to it). The back end several times wanted to get sideways and I'd turn my bars to compensate. BAD IDEA. I learned to not turn the bars to compensate but to push/pull with my legs to steer in the air. Not sure if this helps. And it may not even be that great of advice but it works for me.