Sign in to follow this  

Aux Tank Vs. Oversized Tank

When trail riding a 2004 KTM 105sx, I find that the tank is way to small at only 5 litres (1.3 gal). So, my choices are an aux tank, such as the Acerbis Front # Plate Tank or an oversized tank, which my only choice is the IMS 9.4 litre (2.5 gal) tank. The Acerbis aux tank will affect handling (or so I've read), especially because its a mini. Also, its kind of ugly. But, the cost makes it look a bit better.:ride: Then there is the IMS tank (Clarke tank is not an option, its only 1 litre bigger than stock) which is expensive, but I will be able to sell it separately when selling the bike. Many people are looking for a used big tank, so I will get at least half of the money back, hopefully. 👍

What do you think, and are there any more options?

I have the aux tank. It works fine and you do notice the weight but its not a huge deal IMO. I use it for once in a while rides, for a more permanent setup I'd get the big tank.

I'd go for an over sized tank. The aux. tanks work but it puts the extra weight in an awkward area.

The numberplate tank is a clunky piece of crap in my opinion, one of my riding buddies has one. I think it would really affect the handling on a mini as well.

How about this in a backpack instead?

http://www.tourofidaho.com/Liquid_Containment_Fuel_Bladder.htm

Interesting rating

Rating: 5/5 great balls 'o fire.

Unless I wanted to be a suicide bomber, I can't see riding around with a gallon of gasoline strapped to my body.

A friend of my had the Acerbis aux tank. The upside of that tank it is designed to have gas drawn out of it and into the motorcycle's main tank, so it empties out first. The motorcycle tank's breather tube connects to the aux tank. The downside is a big clunky gas tank on the bars for the first part of the ride.

I've thought about using MSR camping fuel bottles.

The real trick is ride with someone with a really big tank and bring along some oil to mix with it.

Fuel bladders are basically puncture proof unless pierced with a blade. So unless someone stabs you in the back while riding, it's not an issue. I'd rather carry any extra weight on me in the form of a backpack or fanny pack because strapping crap on a bike really affects handling while extra body weight is not such a factor.

So I guess I'm leaning towards the oversized tank. Seems better, I'm going to be using it a lot, and on tight trails, so the extra weight on the handlebars could be bad. I'm already carrying a backpack, so the extra weight on the back could get annoying. Its also the fact that the oversized tank has twice the capacity. Any other aux tanks, maybe ones that go on the rear numberplate?

I have an IMS and I can go almost 60 miles on it. It takes a while to used to the weight when full but if your going on long rides it is worth it.