Sign in to follow this  

No neutral, rear wheel locked with clutch in

Gents,

Was riding my 2010 model today and the bike popped into a false neutral as i put it back into gear the gear box made a clunky sound and the engine stalled.

I went to find neutral before starting and couldn't, then i tried to roll it forward with the clutch in and it is like it is still in gear (wheel locked up), played around with the shifter for about 30min still couldn't get the bike to move so i got the truck loaded it up and took it in.

When i got it back to the shed the bike would roll around with the clutch in but still no neutral, i clutched it, started it, rode in first tried to shift and the engine stalled and the box makes a clunk sound again. didn't roll with clutch in, still no neutral. i cycled the gears up and down and found one it rolled with the clutch in again and gave up.

I don't want to open the gear box up because i would have no idea what im doing in there, don't have a manual for the bike. What do you guys think the issue is? shredded gears, stuffed clutch? and if so what am i looking at for a repair bill. Only bought the bike 3 weeks ago, not happy at all.

Regards,

its most likely the gears, they are made of very poor metals since 10.

Well turned out to be a full gearbox rebuild, below is the parts list, lucky the dealer covered the cost for me!

1. 1st gear
  2. 2nd gear
  3. 3rd gear
  4. 4th gear
  5. 5th gear
  6. fork shift
  7. dog sliding
  8. gasket set
  9. circlip
  10. seal
  11. o ring

Total parts cost $702 Australian

and bout $710 labour

now she's all brand new tho!

for what its worth, you will probably have the updated gears from 11 in it now. they superseded the old gears with new ones for 2011. i dont know if they are better material but 3rd and 4th are wider

whats the deal with the 2010 tranny???

I'm buying one today, so i would like to know what to look out for, apparently the bike i'm buying has less than 15hrs on...

when does the tranny start acting up? is it worth pre-ordering the 11/12 box to replace it before it happens?

Anyway... super pumped for a new bike... i hope it is as good as the shootouts said, coz i love my 07 RM-Z and to think of getting something better...mmmmm

I'm buying one today, so i would like to know what to look out for, apparently the bike i'm buying has less than 15hrs on...

when does the tranny start acting up? is it worth pre-ordering the 11/12 box to replace it before it happens?

Anyway... super pumped for a new bike... i hope it is as good as the shootouts said, coz i love my 07 RM-Z and to think of getting something better...mmmmm

im doing a mini poll on this and have made some interim statistics on the rmz tranny issue you can check it out in the forum here

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027898

the last row shows the percentage chance that you will have an issue in the given time interval...

the hours can vary. ours started acting up at 65 hours. watch for metal in the sump screen and the drain plug.