Sign in to follow this  

Need opinion on this 2006 YZ250F i want to buy

Hi,

I've been a lurker for a while but I just registered to be able to get your opinion on a 2006 YZ250F I might buy.

As per the owner, it has about 45 hours on the bike. The valve just got adjusted beginning of summer.

There is two things that bother me, the fact that other than the regular oil and valve maintenance nothing else has been done. And that it start using 4 kicks, is that normal? I was expecting some engine maintenance as in timing chain replaced and stuff like that. I might be paranoid but I dont want to spend around 3k$ on something I might spend 1k$ the first month.

So what should I look for when I go see the bike? What would be a fair offer for this bike? I know the Canadian market seems a bit more expensive than in the US.

Sorry I know the add is in french, here is a quick translation:

-Excellent motocross, works very well, very clean, well taken care of.

-Cold start in 4 kicks

-Suspension rebuilt by OCS, begining of season

-yoshimura exhaust and original exhaust pipe

-Oil change every 3 rides, air filter cleaned every ride

-Valve tune-up done begining of season

-Wheel bearing replaced begining of season

-Selling because he just bought a 2011

Here is the link: http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2006-Yamaha-YZ250F-yz250-yzf250-motocross-W0QQAdIdZ313153847

Thank you

Looks like a good deal to me, the engine covers don't show much wear, $3000 is about right in canada...possible a wee bit high, I would shoot for $2700.

Just for peace of mind, I would replace the timing chain, piston/rings and measure the crank wear specs while it's apart, as well as change the valve springs/valve seals.

There truly isn't much you can look for in a bike like that other than wiggle wheels, etc for bad bearings, the real money is in the engine, but there is no way of knowing what's in there.