Sign in to follow this  

Another piston size thread. 1989 YZ250WR

I recently bought a 1989 YZ250WR which has had the cylinder sleeved and bored to 68.50mm. I am not very familiar with sizing a piston to the cylinder. In the past I have always took it to the shop and had them order one for me, but I want to do all of it myself this time. I have searched the threads and found several conflicting stories. Also, when I look at factory pistons on a site like bikebandit, it does not show dimensions, it shows .25, .50. 75, and I am not certain on what size it would be. Thanks for any input.

If stock is 68, you would use the 68.5. The question is sort of confusing, though. Most often shops bore to the specific piston, not the other way around.

Nah, don't have the old piston, it was a basket case when I bought. Had already been sleeved and bored.

+1

Give Wiesco a call and see what they recommend. You may need to send the jug and new piston for a fresh bore also. That way you know that the piston and cylinder will match up and you will also know what to order in the future.