Sign in to follow this  

Destroyed Stator Help

I pulled off my cover this morning to find what's in the pic below. One of the six bolts shown has sheared and torn up my stator. All of the six bolts were loose.

I have another motor that I blew the bottom end on, so i have another stator to use. I'm sure it's not the correct way to go about things, but could I tighten the remaining 5 bolts and replace the stator? Or, is the problem much more serious?

Just out of curiosity, what would be the right way to fix this problem and is this normal? I've done the locktite fixed but I didn't think those six bolts were to be touched. I pulled the cover off the blown motor and all six were very tight. Plus, that motor has at least 5k more miles than the 2007 with the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help. I need this bike to get me through the winter riding season.

IMAG0406.jpg

If the magneto/flywheel is not damaged then a switch with the other stator should be fine. Those flywheel bolts were locktited on my 07SM at the factory but are known to work loose and do much damage. I did all the recommended locktite fixes but when I went to do my flywheel locktiting, I realized after the first bolt they had been done at the factory. Locktite them, don't just re tighten them, I think red locktite is recommended for those bolts because the are not removed often.

HTH

Thanks guys. Hopefully 5 locktited bolts hold better than the 6 factory bolts.

What?.. Are you thinking of using only 5 fasteners? If so, not a great plan.

Replace all 6 with new, use high strength thread locker.

I pulled off my cover this morning to find what's in the pic below. One of the six bolts shown has sheared and torn up my stator. All of the six bolts were loose.

I have another motor that I blew the bottom end on, so i have another stator to use. I'm sure it's not the correct way to go about things, but could I tighten the remaining 5 bolts and replace the stator? Or, is the problem much more serious?

Just out of curiosity, what would be the right way to fix this problem and is this normal? I've done the locktite fixed but I didn't think those six bolts were to be touched. I pulled the cover off the blown motor and all six were very tight. Plus, that motor has at least 5k more miles than the 2007 with the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help. I need this bike to get me through the winter riding season.

IMAG0406.jpg

You need to replace the stator, replace all 6 fasteners, and use high strength thread lock.

If the new fasteners thread in to all 6 holes in the current flywheel, your good to go.. If the do not thread cleanly, you can try running a thread chase (not a tap, your not trying to cut threads, just straighten out current ones)

If the new fasteners do not TQ down fully (threads pull out) then you have to replace the back part of the flywheel.

Got ya. The bolt that came loose actually sheared so getting the remaining half of a bolt out is going to be a giant pain, I assume. I guess now I just have to figure out how to get the entire basket off to get to the remaining half of the sheared bolt.

Anyone have any experience with that? Any special tools required?

Got ya. The bolt that came loose actually sheared so getting the remaining half of a bolt out is going to be a giant pain, I assume. I guess now I just have to figure out how to get the entire basket off to get to the remaining half of the sheared bolt.

Anyone have any experience with that? Any special tools required?

the easiest possible way = take it to a machine shop

might cost $50-100 but you'll still have a flywheel when it' done. 👍

the easiest possible way = take it to a machine shop

might cost $50-100 but you'll still have a flywheel when it' done. 👍

thanks, but i`d much rather do it myself.

The correct special tool is a flywheel puller with a cap to protect the end of the crank. The 6 bolts thread into the center of the starter clutch. Once apart, you will have no trouble removing the sheared off part of the bolt. Replace the original bolts with grade 12.9 bolts and thread locker. Torque 100 to 110 inch pounds. (or pretty dam tight by feel)

You also have a lot of crap floating around in the bottom of the motor. I would flush it as best you can with diesel fuel. I would also remove the primary cover, clutch and oil pump and flush the pick up screen from the oil pump side. Order a new plastic oil pump gear. If the oil pump has ingested any garbage, it is hard on the drive gear. Flush the frame, clean the screen in the bottom of the frame. New oil filter of course

The correct special tool is a flywheel puller with a cap to protect the end of the crank. The 6 bolts thread into the center of the starter clutch. Once apart, you will have no trouble removing the sheared off part of the bolt. Replace the original bolts with grade 12.9 bolts and thread locker. Torque 100 to 110 inch pounds. (or pretty dam tight by feel)

You also have a lot of crap floating around in the bottom of the motor. I would flush it as best you can with diesel fuel. I would also remove the primary cover, clutch and oil pump and flush the pick up screen from the oil pump side. Order a new plastic oil pump gear. If the oil pump has ingested any garbage, it is hard on the drive gear. Flush the frame, clean the screen in the bottom of the frame. New oil filter of course

Thanks man, that's exactally what I was looking for.

BTW, called my local shop and they said to stop by and they will pull my flywheel for me in the parking lot. Hopefully I can get the flywheel off both of my motors for just a tip. Sweet.

A lot of places don't use the cap to protect the crank. Flywheels are really on there and the cap is good insurance not to mushroom the end of the crank. Try to use one if you can.

The seared bolt may just back right out, you would be surprised at how easy some sheared bolts come out. Thinking they will be a pain but turn out to literally just fall out. Good luck.

The seared bolt may just back right out, you would be surprised at how easy some sheared bolts come out. Thinking they will be a pain but turn out to literally just fall out. Good luck.

👍:worthy: Good call..

Left hand drill bit or one of the drill / extractor bits and it will likely come right out.