Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a 2005 YZ250, kind of roached.

OK so I picked this up at what I think is an amazing deal. 1300 bucks :ride:

The bad: body is almost all zip tied, the ones that aren't zip tied, he used duct tape for a washer. Exhaust is shot; expansion chamber is cracked and doesn't even have mounting hardware. Silencer is smashed. So new exhaust is first, along with a hardware kit to replace all the zip ties and duct tape :thumbsup:

Here is some teaser pics from the craigslist ad.

303173_539986387161_137000612_30947339_207094222_n.jpg

300625_539987864201_137000612_30947343_1605688495_n.jpg

It has devol radiator guards but the tabs that hold the radiator guards is missing is there a place I can buy just the small tab? Maybe I’ll just fabricate one.

Exhaust: shopping around used on ebay and such. Found FMF SST + Turbine Core for 50 bucks kind of rough shape. FMF Fatty 100 bucks and still going but in perfect condition.

I would like a DEP but price is so high and there is zero used.

Edited by mattmitchell22

Just in time for the Winter Project season. :ride:

While you are replacing plastic, upgrade to the '06 front fender and number plate. :thumbsup:

Tough to tell in that grainy pic, but it looks pretty rough. Lol. Do your plastics, pop in a fresh top end while also checking the play in the bottom end. If the pipe is still good, but just the silencer is smashed, I would replace just that. A lot of guys seem to feel that the OE expansion chamber is quite good.

And I agree with Dan, 06 front bits are a sexy upgrade.

Congrats on the YZ! You'll love it!

• Like 1

What about suspension? I'm 250 so pretty sure fork springs and rear springs are in my future. Is there a way to get them used? any body have some laying around? Anyone know of place around springfield mo to get suspension done? I'd prefer to do the springs myself it seems straight forward. I need to find that spring to weight ratio chart and figure out what springs I need. Maybe a diet would be cheaper lol.

Good find, you'll love it. I would do the 10+ YZF front fender. Keep us posted on the transformation. Looks like nice wheels?

Good find, you'll love it. I would do the 10+ YZF front fender. Keep us posted on the transformation. Looks like nice wheels?

Def do this. Cycra sells one that is a direct bolt on.

she needs some tlc for sure. nice score though. looks like it was a woods racer.

stay away from the fmf sst. i dont know anybody that likes it for the yz250....no bottom end at all. the fatty for pc platinum pipe is a better option IMO.

I'd say DEP or Stock. And don't know if you need a spark arrestor or not, but check out the Leo Vince silencer for the YZ250.

i think dudes on a budget. he was shopping used pipes on fleabay. not sure if he'll find that setup without dropping 4 bills.

For spring rates use racetech.com calculator to give you what you should be running. Replacing springs is very easy, you do need some special tools to get the forks apart but rockymountainatv has some youtube videos that literally walk you though everything you need to do. If you're going to revalve you could search for your springs on ebay and hand them to the shop when you get the revalve done.

yeah, on a budget for sure. Getting married in may so lots of bills on the way. Thanks for the info I'll skip SST. The stocker has a one inch crack and really isn't worth salvaging. Its pushed at least an inch in all the way across the lower curve. The rear wheel is tweaked pretty good too. I'd like to stick with the black excels becaust they look great but i've never laced a wheel before and heard its a pain. So either finding one used, which what would be a good price? or saving up and buying new thats already assembled.

Front and rear springs willl be next on my list after exhaust, bolt kit and rear wheel. Spark arrestor not a big deal.

I'll get some decent pictures tonight.

Edited by mattmitchell22

101_0142.jpg

101_0149.jpg

101_0150.jpg

101_0147.jpg

101_0146.jpg

cracked/bent exhaust

101_0145.jpg

101_0163.jpg

101_0164.jpg

Duct Tape

101_0148.jpg

Radiator Guard

101_0143.jpg

Missing mounting tab

101_0144.jpg

Ok bought the rear rim off ebay so thats on its way. Still shopping for exhaust.

Has anyone used inline fuel filter from tank to carb? I think it would be a good idea but never seen it done on modern mx bikes. Opinions?

Edited by mattmitchell22

i think dudes on a budget. he was shopping used pipes on fleabay. not sure if he'll find that setup without dropping 4 bills.

Leo Vince can be found for $149 right now, and the stock pipe isnt exactly a high dollar item. I'm not sure how recommending the PC Platinum or FMF Fatty is more budget oriented?

...Has anyone used inline fuel filter from tank to carb? I think it would be a good idea but never seen it done on modern mx bikes. Opinions?
The petcock has a fine-mesh screen on the inlet tube, and very few inline fuel filters really do better filtering than that.

A good paper-filter element will do a great job of cleaning the fuel, but they are generally too bulky to fit between the petcock and carb, though I'm sure it has been done.