Sign in to follow this  

feet pain

I am an almost every day runner, 2-5 miles a day, usually between 15 and 20 miles a week.

I normally run in CC flats (read minimalist shoes for all intents and purposes) yesterday I ran in a pair of Nike Shox running shoes that I used to run in all the time with no issues.......my feet/ankles HURT after running 2 miles @ a 7:30 pace in those shoes, is that normal? are my feet that accustomed to running in racing flats maybe?

So the short answer is yes AND no.

Well assuming that the route is the same and direction traveled is the same.

The next thing to consider is shoe design, not flat vs "real" shoe, more the last shape and "ramp" angle. Ramp angle refers to the angle between heel and toe/ball of the foot. These TWO ARE effecting your gait pattern.

The next ones tie in directly with the last 2. The shoe's built in "corrections", meaning: 1) Last Shape 2) Heel Posting (this refers to the side to side elevation difference in the heel, the inside will be thicker/higher) 3) Added Arch Support (arch reinforcement).

What this means is that IF you searched out a "neutral" shoe, I doubt you'd have an issue. A Birkenstock is about as neutral as any shoe comes, so use them as a reference. Nike's tend to have a curved last, a fair amount of posting in the heel and moderate to high arch reinforcement. IMHO you would do better with a MUCH more neutral shoe. A few brands that come to mind are Salomon, MonTrail, NB, Lowa and Nike ACG??? (used to be a few in that Nike line). Interestingly TRAIL running shoes tend to be some of the most neutral in design. Interesting because the incidence of overuse injury would arguably decrease with a simple design change (as you've just shown/proven). 👍

its just weird because I have ran many miles in that exact pair of shoes before and never had any pain until i started to train in my nike zoom streak XC's...they only have about 4mm of heel lift and a pretty low arch. the other shoes are Nike Shox turbo 10's. and I run about the same route each day. I have been looking at NB minimus as my next shoes if I dont get another pair of the XC's