Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 Age from Engine id

Hi There

I have what i thought was 1999 YZ 250 but lots of the recent parts that i have received do not fit and i have a horrible feeling by bike may be a lot older.

Its Engine ID is 2vm01y-1

Please can anyone help age this engine

Cheers

Jez

Very difficult to tell from the number on the engine. I have yet to find a way to determine the year from anything stamped on the engine.

If anyone knows of a website or way to find out the year from the engine cases, please share with the rest of us.

Got some pics of the motor?

The 99' was (almost) the first year with the powervalve cover on the front of the motor above the exhaust port. 96' was really the first year with the forward PV cover.

97'/98' was back to the PV cover on the side.

But the clutch cover in 96' is different from 99'. Maybe it's newer than a 99'. Post some pics and we can probably figure it out, if the VIN doesn't have the answer for you.

Hi There

these are some photos i took yesterday wilst trying to replace the shift shaft etc

02196335.jpg

Looks very similar to my 93 WR250, which is based on the 92 YZ, so my guess is that it is a 92 model YZ

Red upper fork legs make it a 1990. Ouch.

http://www.motodacross.com/yamaha/yz125.htm

Well, at least the front fender is a '99.

also to add. the engine and vin numbers on the steering tube matches exactly thesame.
This is true for the older bikes, not so much for newer motorcycles.

I'm not sure when things changed, but nowadays bikes rarely have matching numbers. The frame and engine are often made in different factorys -- and sometimes different countries! -- making it almost impossible for the company to keep numbers matching. 👍

P.S. hardhitwarrior; what can we look at? Bikes! That's why we're all here! :worthy::ride:

^^Here's the same site with the 250 page, instead of the 125's^^

I used the 250 page, but my old hyperlink always sends you to the 125 page. :worthy::ride:

Thanks for the updated link. 👍

Side number plates look different in 90'. It does have the red(ish) forks though...

Looking like it's a 91' or 92'.

Who knows where that front numberplate came from?
2VM is an '88 motor.

This thing is starting to look like Frankenbike. :worthy:

2VM is an '88 motor.

Is there a site that can cross that info? Or is this some known lore about the engine number?

i think there is. on yamah site i read it somewhere about all the year codes they made but i cant seem to find the link. that was how i found out my bike was a 92 that the previous owner said it was 96. and wrote on the reciept as 95. jerk ass"#¤%&!

Many thanks Guys - not quite a 1999 YZ250 - doesnt look like i have recourse either as it was an ebay purchase