Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust packing

I changed out the packing on my exhaust, but now i think it sounds like crap. whats the best way to do it to get a good sound?

I changed out the packing on my exhaust, but now i think it sounds like crap. whats the best way to do it to get a good sound?

You are kidding right? A bike with a properly packed exhuast 'does not sound right'??? How does it run? What make, model year and what exhuast is on it?

some peoples ears are tuned differently. meaning they find some noises more pleasant than other noises. if you packed it correctly and assembled it correctly, the only other option is to buy a slip on exhaust can. other than assembling correctly, or not packing correctly, you may just be used to the sound of a can that needs to be packed, so just run it. stop worrying and ride.

It may sound like something is over the end because it is freshly packed... when was the last time it was packed? ARMOR all the way!!!

I cant remember the last time. I had a friend do it for me while i was in Iraq. But he used a hair wig. I dont know why. Yes it sounds muffled but almost like it is having trouble pushing out the exhaust.

no no no. RECON all the way!!!!!!!

hmmm... I would consider repacking with something else... packing is cheap and even if you have rivets, you should be able to find someone to help you drill them out and re-rivet. I don't like the sound of a wig!!! If you are blipping the gas and it is exiting ok, then it isn't blocked tho... just make sure by looking into the core.

I had a friend do it for me while i was in Iraq. But he used a hair wig. I dont know why.

How much did you have toupee for that? :thumbsup:

I can now say I've heard it all. Funniest thing before this I had read was using diapers.

Back in about 99 I had a friend say he had bought a YZ400 and needed a new muffler because it was blown out. I said Oh, you got one of the new 4-strokes.. he said no A YZ400... as in 1978 !! Oh ok.. well, just repack it! So we opened it up... fully packed with tampons!

I'd seriously mullet over if anyone suggested useing anything other than plain old fiberglass house insulation as two stroke muffler packing.

I'd seriously mullet over if anyone suggested useing anything other than plain old fiberglass house insulation as two stroke muffler packing.

Man, don't wig out over the price of 2-stroke muffler packing. It's cheap!