Sign in to follow this  

[vid]RM250 Engine noise? :(

1989 RM250

Ok so this noise happens on the down rev. I know my exhaust is shot, so maybe thats the problem? I have exhaust coming out of the port on the cylinder, so a seal is needed..

What could this noise be? Also, am I wrong for pinning it at the end to "Clear it out". She loads up fast... Maybe new reeds? I just cleaned out the carb :thumbsup: Air screw is about 1 5/8 turns out

Don't tell me it's metal shavings floating around in my bottom end (which i think it is). I just rebuilt the topend x[

Sounds more like a vibration/rattle than anything(everything tight/anything vibrateing against something/exhaust), the loading up part is probably more jetting related, does it sound like that while riding it

Yea dude haha. I held my exhaust while I reved it, noise gone. I feel like a worried parrent. And no after I let it warm up it always sounds and rides good with no bogging. One thing I haven't checked yet is my reeds. Bikes old wasn't taken care of

Yea dude haha. I held my exhaust while I reved it, noise gone. I feel like a worried parrent. And no after I let it warm up it always sounds and rides good with no bogging. One thing I haven't checked yet is my reeds. Bikes old wasn't taken care of

Good deal, at least your takeing care of her now:thumbsup:, definitely get those reeds checked

Good deal, at least your takeing care of her now:thumbsup:, definitely get those reeds checked

Yeah I may just order new ones.. They seem cheap (30 - 60). Well, cheap as far as dirt bike parts go. This thing was a turd when I got it. There was a mouse nest in the air compartment, chain was stretched, the guy said he never touched the top end. (my first dirt bike) The thing seized up on me the 3rd day lol. It's worth it though, about 1100 - 1200 with cost of the bike and parts for repair (including sending the cylinder out to get welded and replated) for a badass bike.

Rebuilt top end (welded and replated cylinder, new piston/rings/wristpin/bearing)

new water pump seal/bearings

cleaned carb

new x-ring chain DID gold plated

Gettin there.. The plastics look like shit so I may look into getting a plastic paint and throw clear on top of it. I think that would hold idk. Plastics are expensive :thumbsup:

Yeah I may just order new ones.. They seem cheap (30 - 60). Well, cheap as far as dirt bike parts go. This thing was a turd when I got it. There was a mouse nest in the air compartment, chain was stretched, the guy said he never touched the top end. (my first dirt bike) The thing seized up on me the 3rd day lol. It's worth it though, about 1100 - 1200 with cost of the bike and parts for repair (including sending the cylinder out to get welded and replated) for a badass bike.

Rebuilt top end (welded and replated cylinder, new piston/rings/wristpin/bearing)

new water pump seal/bearings

cleaned carb

new x-ring chain DID gold plated

Gettin there.. The plastics look like shit so I may look into getting a plastic paint and throw clear on top of it. I think that would hold idk. Plastics are expensive :thumbsup:

If i was gonna do it i'd bite the bullet and get new plastics, but thats just me

yeah, i tried painting my 91 rm's plastics

well the fenders look awesome

so do the rad shrouds, but the tank.. pff

you always hit your knees against the tank, the paint just starts coming off, no matter how well you paint it

its 150bucks for a complete plastics set for your bike, doable

yeah, i tried painting my 91 rm's plastics

well the fenders look awesome

so do the rad shrouds, but the tank.. pff

you always hit your knees against the tank, the paint just starts coming off, no matter how well you paint it

its 150bucks for a complete plastics set for your bike, doable

Little late but I plasti dipped my bike plastics. Holding up pretty good so far. I'll make a thread about it next summer when I start riding with it before I suggest using it :smirk: