Sign in to follow this  

Found 87 XR250R parts bike, for my 92 XR280L

Hey everyone!

been awhile since i been on here, but i had to share this. yesterday went over to a buddys house who i havent seen in a year or two, started walkin around his property and leaning agianst a little wood shed was a 87 XR250R. i asked what he was doing with it, he said it was a friends and no plans ever for it. i said 100 bucks? he said done. so i will pick it up when i get paid this week.

the best part of picking it up, it has the oil cooler!!! my 92XR280L. with all the mods i could do to it at the time. but since i have had it, i have wanted to find a right side case cover with the oil cooler lines and the oil cooler itself. to buy those parts new would be like 500 bucks.. i know the cooler is about 150ish. so i scored!! the 87 is in bad shape, no handle bars, no side panels. but has brand new tire on the front. has good forks and shocks. swing arm. all the stuff thats different on my XR280L. so now i gotta tear it down, start planning the oil cooler mounts. and get back to riding!!

ill post pics and what not when i get it home and start working on it!

hey also been researching other peoples installs, good job redrider! but people brought up oldrice.com and they have this dipstick call isocycle dipstick and its a small oil cooler, anyone ever try one? does it fit the XRs?

http://www.oldrice.com/Swissoil.html its down 3/4 on the page.

That looks like it takes the place of the dipstick on the Honda CB series. The dipstick screwed into the engine side case. The threads look much too narrow to fit the neck on the XR.

it would be kinda of a conversation starter to have one of those. i wonder how much it would lower your oil temps. really cool idea. i would get it if it fit.

so i picked up the bike tonight, had my buddy meet me at the bar, bought him a beer and a shot for driving the bike down 10 miles. he even loaded it into my truck when i wasnt around!!

but its in bad shape, this was the only way i thought of to show the pics. kinda small pics. but anyways i will need to sand and repaint the case cover, swap my clutch arm and buy a gasket to do the swap, and i might as well get all new o-rings and crush washers for when i reassemble it. i already have a local buddy who rides hard wanting to get all the other parts off of it i dont need. so that makes it easier on my wallet

i just talked to the old owner through facebook and he said his uncle found it in the dunes, you could only see the front tire, dug it out of the sand and cleaned it up, ran like a champ. his story makes me wonder about how well it was taken care of. but the parts i want are there. so whatever

anyone have experience with painting side cases like this? im a low budget kind of person lately so powder coating is out of my grasp. the rest of my XR280L is black, so i like the idea of painting them black, but the rest of the motor wouldnt be done.. look strange.. ideas?

thanks here a link to my old thread of when i started building my XR280L.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538007&highlight=

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/315525_10150367916908684_665518683_8280943_270017033_a.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302196_10150367916948684_665518683_8280944_542157990_n.jpg

got almost everything torn down on the 88 XR250R. one of the linkage bolts is seized up thats stopping me from being down to just frame and motor, exhaust and air box.

my buddy here on the island is going to buy all the other parts off me. and is even going to help swap side cases and weld in the mounts. i have everything removed, last thing is side case w/ oil cooler assembly, than take my bikes side cover, exhaust and rear brake off and than i can switch them and gain the oil cooler!

I wanna share that this bike has sat for maybe 4-5 years. cleaned the carb, plug, put some fresh gas, and it started!! i love honda! let me remind you thats running with the frame rails on the ground, no front or rear end and a cut throttle cable.. one of the weirdest times trying to start a bike. but ran!!

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you all my pics from the oil cooler install.

I was worried about the brackets at first but they ended up being real simple in the end. The most complicated part was ordering all new seals for the system from top to bottom. I ordered parts from Bike Bandit, Service Honda, TT Store and Everett Powersports to get everything. I might still have the list of parts I bought too.

Nice score. You can sell most those parts on flebay and double your money. The R rear end is different than the L by a lot as I have been told.

I got a 91 R parter years back. Great to have a box of hard to find or expensive parts sitting on the shelf. Still waiting to do the big bore and use the R's right side cover and oil cooler on my L. What would be a good rear shock to replace the 250L rear, any ideas?