Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 1999 Beartracker, few issues.

I just bought a 1999 bear tracker today, the first ATV that I have owned myself(used others). Its got what I believe to be a bit of a carb problem, its also a bit finicky with reverse. The bike will idle a little low, when you start driving its like it hiccups a bit, like loses power then you give it a bit more gas and it regains it. It sometimes can backfire when this happens. When I was riding it for a short run to test it out it sometimes cut out completely and took a little to start it, after it sits for a minute it starts no problem again. This makes me think it is an issue with the carb or the air filter. What do you think?

For the reverse, you have to kind of hold it for a few seconds before it switches over and sometimes takes multiple tries. Same for going back to forward. I've read this is common on bear trackers, what can I do about it?

Thanks!

Edit: also the engine ticks a bit, seems like the valves just need to be adjusted. so I will be doing that here soon. All in all, not too bad for 800$, considering a 1985 moto 4 goes for 600 around here. 2003 bikes are usually about 3000 or so.

Edited by endrien

Remove the carb and give it a good cleaning and it should be OK. Also I would have a look at the valves like you mentioned not much to it.

Remove the carb and give it a good cleaning and it should be OK. Also I would have a look at the valves like you mentioned not much to it.

I adjusted the valves and the ticking seems to still be there, what could it be?

Could be cam chain loose or worn, worn bearings on cam??? Where is the noise coming from? A stethoscope can help you narrow it down to a specific area.