Sign in to follow this  

My swingarm/suspension maintenance after 7000 miles

I'm replacing my subframe and I thought it would be a good time to check my swingarm/suspension.Here's a few pics of what can happen after just 7 months and 7000 miles on a 2011 DRZ S.

Just getting started.

subframeswingarm001.jpg

subframeswingarm029.jpg

Everything apart. Notice the new and old subframe.

subframeswingarm030.jpg

Dry as a bone! :thumbsup:

subframeswingarm035.jpg

subframeswingarm026.jpg

subframeswingarm022.jpg

Glad I'm doing this now before winter. Seems like it will need to be done at least twice a year. I'll be cleaning everything up in the morning and then it all gets a nice coat of Bel Ray waterproof grease before going back together. EVERYTHING works better with lubrication! :ride:

there are many DRZ's running around with no grease in that area , check your steering head bearings and get prepared for more pain !

Oh so true!

there are many DRZ's running around with no grease in that area , check your steering head bearings and get prepared for more pain !

Thats the next thing on my list! :thumbsup:

Everything works better with lubrication! :thumbsup:

Everything is cleaned up and put back together.

swingarm2002.jpg

swingarm2004.jpg

swingarm2006.jpg

swingarm2007.jpg

way too clean:bonk:

Right! My 06 has 7k and looks ALOT worse as it was a dirt only ride for the first 4 years. I just did the swingarm/linkage a couple months ago. Mine looked about like yours. They were dry but luckily hardly any rust in there. I think a good coat of Bel Ray grease should last at least a season for you if you can keep the bike that clean!:thumbsup:

I have an '01, I bought it in '09 I think, had 8K miles on it, original tires and battery a well, has 16K miles now, replaced battery with Yuasa last year as well as the stator.

Got new air cleaner filter, replaced all cooling components just for good measure, a few other odds and ends.

I think I may be in trouble, 10 years, no maintenance in all that time, I don't do much dirt but I was gonna powdercoat the swingarm black and replace all those parts with new ones, I know there is one company that makes all the parts in 3 separate kits, if we ever get winter here in Texas, be one more project!