Sign in to follow this  

2007 crf150r ADVICE PLEASE!

Hows it goin guys i have a 2007 honda crf150r just bought saturday.

It was pooring rain so i didnt notice it was leaking water, but i didnt notice untill sun when it over heated. Took home looked it over and established i did not blow head gaskets. The water pump seal went bad and leaked out the seep hole. Also cracked my crankcase cover(but nothing is leaking out of it) so im replacing the crankcase cover and water pump seal. Should i replace the water pump as well? It took a good 2 hours to over heat.

Also it had alot, i mean alot of trouble starting and couldnt get it to idle. Untill about an hour or so of riding. So im pulling the carb and cleaning it when i replace seal and crankcase cover.

If that doesnt fix the starting and idling problem, what els should i look into?

Thanks

Edited by egthayer
too long, shortened it up

replace spark plug.water pump seals. check valves. clean carb. check valve timing. also check all ground wires and just go over and check bolts, clean air filter, change oil, regrease bearings, check chain slack. and brake pads. and brake fluid level.

Okay i will make sure and go over all of those, thank you.

The chain is pretty wore out was planning on replacing it soon, any reccomendations? Or just go with oem chain?

motorboy1128 rigth thoses thing you check over

DID, RK, Renthal or OEM chain it better to just get a Sprocket and Chain Kit

By the way what you called a crankcase cover is really called a clutch cover the crankcase cover is on the other side of the motor.

Look really close at water pump main shaft if it warn in by seal just replace it and the seal sometime it just best to just do both belive me I have bike and atv where end up have redo them over.

And this good time to look over the Clutch Basket Finger for heavy ware

Yes it a good idea to check valves

Things you need

1: 3/8 Drive Socket Set

2: Hot Cams Valve Shim Kits for CRF150R

3: Feeler gauge

4: Micro torque wrench 1/4 or 3/8 Drive

5: Digital Caliper or Digital Micrometer

6: Honda Cam Chain Tensioner Holder Tool or best eazy option is just order a Tokyo mods Mechanical Cam Chain Tensioner.

There are lot Videos on Youtube there some on Hot Cams web site on how to do it.

Good Option:

It also good idea to have a Real Honda Shop Service Manual for Bike, ATV or UTV your working with which be pickup of ebay on cheap.

By the way egthayer where Oklahoma are you at?.

Edited by shspvr

Thank you guys and im in the tulsa area.

Update....

Replaced clutch cover, gasket, water pump seal and gasket... no more leaking or overheating :thumbsup:

Also cleaned the carb it was really gunked up... starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime!!

Now the issue im having is the idle is racing. It wont top out the gear but every gear i shift to it will get a few rpms and hold a few rpms away from when i need tp shift and if i pull the clutch oh god it revs high! Ive adjusted that nob thats supposed to control the idle but cant seem to get it just right just seems to keep racing.... when i was putting the throttle cables back in the top throttle cab when you click both claps back into that little spring loaded gear (im not foresure what its called or how to describe it) but the top cable seem to have a tiny bit of slack in it could that be the issue?

i took it out to aplacha bay the idle adjustment was stuck wide open adjusted it down and idles normal and doesnt over heat holding water just fine and i rode from 10 in the morning till 7 that night with no prob. other than if i let off the throttle it will die everynow and then, but im gonna pull the carb again make sure i cleaned it out good really look it over.

what exactly is the hot start? what is it supposed to do?

i took it out to aplacha bay the idle adjustment was stuck wide open adjusted it down and idles normal and doesnt over heat holding water just fine and i rode from 10 in the morning till 7 that night with no prob. other than if i let off the throttle it will die everynow and then, but im gonna pull the carb again make sure i cleaned it out good really look it over.

what exactly is the hot start? what is it supposed to do?

Ploit Jet my be a bit to small or pilot air screw need more adjustment or the idle is set to low normal need be a round 2000/2100rpm bear min or valve lash clearances to tigth

Feeler gauge

.006 IN

.010 EX

Hot Start it just allows more air to enter the engine through the carb providing for easier startup when the engine hot I never used mine.

but the top cable seem to have a tiny bit of slack in it could that be the issue?

Your good there should be a tiny bit of slack

Keep in mind that motor rev super fast and will hit rev limiter just try shift before that

yeah i just talked to one of the techs at my shop he said he will help me adjust the piolet jet on it and check the valves. i could try my self but i dont have the macahnical experience to try it myself just yet but thank guys have helped alot!!!!

but over all just cleaning that carb the first time and the new plug man that bike is a beast! i mean atleast for my little self haha just needs a few little tweeks and i think it'll be perfect!

shspvr- you live in oklahoma right? do you know of any good places, for a novice rider to really get a feel for his bike and just get the real basics of riding down? cause the only place i know of is apalacha bay and its all intense narrow trails or wide open shores with SOFT sand! i mean i know riding in difficult terrain makes you a better rider and it wasnt too bad but id rather have dirt more open ares not such narrow trails more of an mx kinda feel to it. rather than narrow tight trails and sand! haha

Yes I live Oklahoma but it not where your at I'm about 150 miles north from you so I have no idea what up there.