Sign in to follow this  

Getting Old!

So I'm in the terminal stages of turning 50 ... and hate to admit it but my KLX450 is just a little too much for my old bones. I'm thinking about downsizing to a 250 thumper. I'm 6'0 & 200 lbs. with gear on. I ride mostly trail and occasional MX (I'm the slow guy always in the way on the track).

I want to stay w/ Kawasaki ... thinking about a 2011 KX250. Does anyone have any advice if this is enough bike to haul my larger a$$ around and if the KX is suitable for trail (nothing too extreme)? Also, have gotten used to the push-start on the KLX ... how is kick-starting on the KX250?

KDX 220...I've had 2, and loved 'em. I'm on the sort list to 60. I now have a KTM 450EXC only because I needed a Plated Bike. I love it, but I do miss the KDX. Although I did sell it to my Brother...so...all in the Family.

hi, me to, I'am 52 been riding since i was 7yrs old, the klx450 is a lot of bike, i have mine plated in S.C., i also have a 2001 kdx200 when i want to ride hard and tight trails, great bike plenty of power, a lot easier to work on.:thumbsup:

46 here... and feeling every year.

I have the '08 KLX450r, a 2006 KDX200 and a new KTM 250XCFW

Kawi has completely abandoned the off-road market- is there are personal reason you want to stay green?

Just stay open to other bikes- do you need a plate?

IMG_2335.jpg

_art6719.jpg

So I'm in the terminal stages of turning 50 ... and hate to admit it but my KLX450 is just a little too much for my old bones. I'm thinking about downsizing to a 250 thumper. I'm 6'0 & 200 lbs. with gear on. I ride mostly trail and occasional MX (I'm the slow guy always in the way on the track).

I want to stay w/ Kawasaki ... thinking about a 2011 KX250. Does anyone have any advice if this is enough bike to haul my larger a$$ around and if the KX is suitable for trail (nothing too extreme)? Also, have gotten used to the push-start on the KLX ... how is kick-starting on the KX250?

A KX250 will feel great....for a while. Lighter, more flickable, faster, etc etc.

Then reality sets in.....

- won't rocky hills until you master clutch feathering

- won't crawl over anything...first gear is like second on your KLX

- won't go fast on open terrain...fifth gear is like 3rd and a half on the KLX

- hard to start: you have to kick it, remember?

- ridgid suspension: you'll have to re-valve it if you want to trail ride it.

Having said all that, I went and got a KX450, put on a Rekluse, taller seat and bars, fe-sprung and re-valved it, geared it up for 70 mph, and it's a gas. And it's 65lbs lighter than my CrF450X!

...and I just turned 54....!

I assume if you do the auto-clutch then the flywheel weights becomes moot?

Man..... 65lbs. Whew, that a big diff!

yea, i do some dual sport riding and have to ride the road to get to some connecteing trials, also have the auto clutch and a 2.7 gal tank, kx full exhaust, trail tech light,

Kawi has completely abandoned the off-road market- is there are personal reason you want to stay green?

IMG_2335.jpg

_art6719.jpg

Garage is looking good!

If you can get it plated how about a Gas Gas 300 or KTM 300? Both are available with E start. I rode a GG 250 earlier this year and loved it. I bleed green but the GG 300 will most likely be my next new bike.

I would keep the KLX! Especially if you don't race. And you are not in the way, they are just lousy riders.

Don't let your bones tell your brain that nonsense.

Keep on riding the Green Monster.:thumbsup:

IMG_2335.jpg

_art6719.jpg

Nice KTM! How does that pull you around? Would it be enough for 200 lb rider? Thanks

If you can get it plated how about a Gas Gas 300 or KTM 300? Both are available with E start. I rode a GG 250 earlier this year and loved it. I bleed green but the GG 300 will most likely be my next new bike.

I want a Husaberg FE390 next, that'll replace the KLX450r but the GasGas bikes are UNREAL!

Some of the new technology looks very cool.

I'd like a closer dealer to me but..... very, very cool bikes.

While Kawi has abandoned off-road 100% others are embracing it: GG, KTM/Husaberg, Crap even Honda and Yamaha.

I've gotten past my disappointment (but not the anger!) but I'm certainly not supporting them.

You are still young boys. I´m passing 60 years old and still riding. Nobody is in the way on the track. Some is faster then others, thats racing. Keep your klx, it´s a nice bike. Put your money on your self insted. Go for an endurotour with guide and rentalbike somewhere far away.

best regrds, jetin

:thumbsup:

You are still young boys. I´m passing 60 years old and still riding. Nobody is in the way on the track. Some is faster then others, thats racing. Keep your klx, it´s a nice bike. Put your money on your self insted. Go for an endurotour with guide and rentalbike somewhere far away.

best regrds, jetin

:ride:

Gotta say.... I ride sometimes with guys that are into their 70's..... well into their 70's... and these guys still twist the throttle. Just freaking awesome!

Dude, I ride with a guy on a 2007 KX250 with no mods and he has VERY little experience and weighs 260 lbs. He has no problems in the woods and isn't a jumper [thank God] but he's not the slowest or fastest in the group. You'll have no problem on a 250 thumper but look into a flywheel and woods oriented suspension if you have some decent experience [and it sounds like you do]:thumbsup:

I would keep the KLX! Especially if you don't race. And you are not in the way, they are just lousy riders.

Don't let your bones tell your brain that nonsense.

Keep on riding the Green Monster.:thumbsup:

:ride:

I am 51 and can't imagine why you would want to ditch your 450. Days when my joints are complaining, I just don't twitch the throttle. You can do smooth rides like a trail bike if you have throttle control. Over bumpy sections I like to put my right index finger up on the back side of the front brake lever as a damper so there is less chance of throttle change. I always have that finger covering the front lever anyway so it is already in the area.

Days when I am playing with the kids going up 40deg hills 200ft high, the power is there. I ride with a guy that is 56 and has a DR200. He has mad skills, but that lack of power has him in trouble sometimes on hills. He is in search of new bars and a clutch lever this week because of this. You wouldn't think more power would be safer but it is.

I hope you end up keeping it.

I'm 51 also, and have spent over 4 decades dirt riding. Believe or not, this is my 1st open class bike, and I am amazed. I wonder why I didn't get one before. Actually, I'd been spit off on both a KX500, and a CR500, that friends let me ride. This open class thumper is an awesome bike. I'm not in the best physical shape, and I am sorer longer now than 20 or 30 years ago, but when I'm dirt riding, I still feel this is my purpose. And when I'm dicing with somebody 20 years younger, I don't let off.:thumbsup:

Edited by bob_e95482
spelling

Great thread, I'm a KTM guy but saw the 'Old' tag (I'm 47) on the forum list and had to click. I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years and have been on 300 KTM for the last 3 and love it. 450 is a lot of bike if you are doing mostly woods and its really a lot of bike when you drop it....my youngest son rides a 2007 KX250F and he is fast but when I ride it all I think about is, it has no power unless you keep it pretty close to rev limiter. My other son rides a 2003 KX250 2T, nice bike for woods if you get it set up right. Has no problem pulling my 210 lbs around.... If you are not totally loyal to green you owe it to yourself to look at some orange....