Sign in to follow this  

Grease Behind Wipers

I'm do for a new set of fork seals, and I'm trying to get as much life out of this set as possible. The manual for my bike says to put grease up behind the wiper after each ride. My question is, does this improve seal life, or just trap gunk up there, causing damage to the seal? So to grease or not to grease, that is the question. Thanks guys

I'm do for a new set of fork seals, and I'm trying to get as much life out of this set as possible. The manual for my bike says to put grease up behind the wiper after each ride. My question is, does this improve seal life, or just trap gunk up there, causing damage to the seal? So to grease or not to grease, that is the question. Thanks guys
I put grease under my wipers. It helps to catch any abrasive particles that get past the wipers and would otherwise end up eating the seals.

These days I carefully clean mine out with a business card or similar then pack in the grease and have never had to change a single set in all my riding days. The seals last as long as the bikes do.

I used to have an old KX250 which was my "neglect" bike and it went through heck---one day I gave it a set of those $20 neoprene Seal Savers and never had to change its seals. Heck I never bothered cleaning under the Seal Savers and they lasted the life of the bike.

I used to have an old KX250 which was my "neglect" bike and it went through heck---one day I gave it a set of those $20 neoprene Seal Savers and never had to change its seals. Heck I never bothered cleaning under the Seal Savers and they lasted the life of the bike.

Don't do this in areas where there's flint sand. It will eat the chrome right off the sliders.

How often do you clean out the old grease and put in fresh? Every ride? Or is it alright to wait a few?

you must be in a great area, every bike that comes threw my shop used needs fork seals. Some of the ones I have replaced with synergy seals have not needed new seals again though. I use very little grease just on the inside of the wiper where it contacts the tube.

you must be in a great area, every bike that comes threw my shop used needs fork seals. Some of the ones I have replaced with synergy seals have not needed new seals again though. I use very little grease just on the inside of the wiper where it contacts the tube.

+1 :thumbsup:

I dont use just any type of grease cause it collects to much dirt/dust.

I use Pro-Circuit seal and O-Ring grease cause it is a lot lighter than the other typical greases you get at advance/wal-mart or NAPA.

The Pro circuit grease is red in color.