Sign in to follow this  

carb issue 86 xr250r

hey guys i have a 86 xr250r all the gordo mods done, i cant seem to get it dailed in. stock carb, 135/40 jets needle is a 85A. is on 2nd pos. from bott. starts easily, idles smoothly, has bog off idle (not too bad thou). plug says its running too rich, alot of black schtuff on plug. not oil, more like carbon. also exhaust smells of gas totally even smokes abit (greyish) any help would be great, thanks in advance.

I'm trying to get my old xr dialed too..... yours sounds to me like it's rich, if the exaust smells like gas it can't get it all burned. try going down a size or two on the main jet. my 2 cents.

hey green, what jet sizes are you running in ur xr? i know ur prolly a higher elev. just wonderrin. thanks, tony

When I Still had the stock carb I ended up at 148 main and 58 pilot and the bike ran great from 5000 ft all the way to 12,000

I found a pumper on ebay for $250 so I went with that now. Bike has more power for sure and off idle bog is gone. That carb is jetted 130 main 17.5 pilot

Pay attention: 250 vs 400

No comparable jetting between the two!