Sign in to follow this  

Bars jerked to side when front brake locked up at speed

Maybe it's just that I've gotten more comfortable with this bike to carry more speed and grab bigger handfuls of front brake, but I've noticed whenever I've locked up my front wheel at speed (20-40 MPH) on the trail, the wheel wants to kick sideways. I've been lucky a few times and was able to straighten it out, but not this time. Is it common for the front wheel to get turned quickly whenever you lock it up at speed?

It could be from the bike trying to tractor, since I have a bad habit of relying on engine and front braking alone whenever I've had a surprise stop/slow-down. I'm off the gas at that point, but the motor could still be spooling down. Gotta learn to use the clutch sooner. So, maybe bad braking habits or even bad body position?

Could this have anything to do with tire selection or tire pressure? I'm running the DOT-approved Metzeler's that came standard on the '09 KTM450EXC's, but I'll be switching to S12's soon.

I'm also wondering if suspension setup could have anything to do with this. It's still set how it came from the factory. I've got a while to think about this before I can ride again. For now, I'm telling the wife it all could have been avoided if I had a steering damper.

Don't lock your front wheel up, problem solved.:thumbsup:

Haha although his reply sounded sort of smart ass, I agree with it. Are you actually locking up the front? I would try to use some more rear brake and maybe stiffen up the front suspension with your clickers if your front end is diving to much and causing your problem. are your fork seals leaking? and is their the right amount of oil in them? I have rode a few bikes with no fork oil... haha and if your front is to soft it can act a little funny when braking

I would try to use some more rear brake and maybe stiffen up the front suspension with your clickers if your front end is diving to much and causing your problem.

Yep, it does seem to dive. I went from a used YZ250 with supercross valves to the 450EXC. Just thought it was part of having a plush suspension. It's so comfortable compared to the YZ, sometimes I get a little saucy. Guess it's time to start playing with the clickers.... and get rid of some bad riding habits.

Yep, it does seem to dive. I went from a used YZ250 with supercross valves to the 450EXC. Just thought it was part of having a plush suspension. It's so comfortable compared to the YZ, sometimes I get a little saucy. Guess it's time to start playing with the clickers.... and get rid of some bad riding habits.

I think the EXC's are really similar to the W models and they have pretty soft suspension up front and coming in hot can be a little sketchy on the W's that i have rode.