Sign in to follow this  

XR under water

Son accidently dumped my XR250 in a big water hole. Had about half a gallon water in exhaust. Looks like going to need a top end rebuild Ugh. I may go the easy way out and have mech do it for me just waiting on a price quote. Any one have an 02 rebuilt recently what did it cost ya??

Pull the exhaust and drain it, pull the plug and kick it over to blow it out and use lots of WD-40, check the oil for water , drain it and refill if you see any signs of water. Then fire that dog up and run it for an hour or so, all remaining moisture will evaporate off .

Water is not a killer but if you leave it in there for a day or longer your screwed.

I have flooded many an engine [ jet skis / dirt bikes ] and this quick maintenance has always worked. Let it sit and it all goes to hell, main bearings, rod bearings, all engine bearings, rings and cylinder.

Get to it asap and run it till your sure the moisture has been evaporated.

• Like 1

Son accidently dumped my XR250 in a big water hole. Had about half a gallon water in exhaust. Looks like going to need a top end rebuild Ugh. I may go the easy way out and have mech do it for me just waiting on a price quote. Any one have an 02 rebuilt recently what did it cost ya??

Dumped into a water hole isn't a problem. Did you get it started right after? If not, you are going to have to rebuild both the top AND bottom end. However, if you got it started that day, just change the oil and go!

JayC

I took lazy way out mechanic is doing job for me because I dont have time. Guess its going to need new rings, hone cylinder, piston. Looks like bottom end is OK. Around 600.00 for the job. Sound about right. All OEM parts.

I took lazy way out mechanic is doing job for me because I dont have time. Guess its going to need new rings, hone cylinder, piston. Looks like bottom end is OK. Around 600.00 for the job. Sound about right. All OEM parts.

That sounds like an awful lot for a top end. Especially if you didn't get it started right up - because you're going to find out that you need a bottom end shortly after getting it back.

JayC

Pull the exhaust and drain it, pull the plug and kick it over to blow it out and use lots of WD-40, check the oil for water , drain it and refill if you see any signs of water. Then fire that dog up and run it for an hour or so, all remaining moisture will evaporate off .

Water is not a killer but if you leave it in there for a day or longer your screwed.

I have flooded many an engine [ jet skis / dirt bikes ] and this quick maintenance has always worked. Let it sit and it all goes to hell, main bearings, rod bearings, all engine bearings, rings and cylinder.

Get to it asap and run it till your sure the moisture has been evaporated.

I dumped my 2006 CRF150F in a river on accident and have same problem, I followed your procedure, but the bike wouldnt start, Im planning on trying a new spark plug, but can only get one tomorrow, can you give me any ideas, already tried heating the spark plug and putting gasoline on it

Did the bike suck up mud? Water should not be a problem. Maybe if it was full throttle when it drown.

My friend drove his XR600 up a creek to cross it, thinking it was shallower upstream. All I could see of his XR600 was the gas cap and handlebars when he finally stopped. I would have taken a photo, but I wanted to get him out before he tipped it over and he drown under it. We pulled out his XR600 tipped the XR600 to drain out the water out of the exhaust. Kicked it over for a while, then towed it back to life behind my XR400. Rode back to the truck, loaded the bikes, and drove home. He changed the oil, fired it up, changed the oil twice more. Never did anything else to the bike. It still is running 8 years later.

That day was 2 hours of driving, a creek crossing 100 yards from where we parked, towing his bike, driving home 2 hours. :bonk: I changed the oil in my XR400 a few times to be safe since it ran pretty deep in the water too. (Remember when oil was $2 a quart?)

Edited by Kev_XR