Sign in to follow this  

rebuilting my yzf250

hello at the end of the season i will be rebuilting my 07 yzf250, what are your thoughts here

i am def going to change the piston thinking of putting a cosworth piston in the bike anyone used one?

my valves have been fine but they was fine on my 06 but the inlet valve snaped so i think i best put new valves in, anyone used steel valves? i know you can loose abit of power as they are alittle heavyier but got told they last alot longer?

will also do cam chain and chain tentioner.

do the big end bearin last a long time on these bikes i would say the bikes done about 60 hours.

many thanks carl

60 hours? valves will be right after only 60 hours. maybe a cam chain but probs not the tensioner as well. piston and rings if you want but i only do rings at 60 hours and then piston and rings at 100. yould get more than 60 hours out of a big end bearing. i would leave that for now. gee that gets me thinking, thats alot of time on the bike, i could be doing other stuff

Don't worry so much about your valves. Keep checking the clearance and shim them if needed. Your 06 snapped a valve because you never took it in for the recall

My 06 was meant to of had the recall but I never trusted the shop so I don't know, they gave me the old valve that they said was swoped for the recall valve, how many hours are you all getting out your valves then?

Might just do piston and cam chain then.

Thanks Carl

Guys usually shim twice then replace the third time they need it. Some other guys shim once then change. Hours vary depending on riding and maintenance

Thank you I had the bike used but could tell it never done much the bloke said he re shimed the valves but I checked myself and they was well out so I think he done them wrong, so I reshimed them and the bike has been fine for 4 months and valves not moved, I use the bike twice a week aswell so I trust the bike.