Sign in to follow this  

Where to ride a PW50 in Socal

So I just picked up a PW50 for my son and I want to take him out riding as close to the house as possible. Since this is his first take at riding, I really just need an open area for him to get used to everything. I live near Pasadena and know of the normal popular spots, but given the bike is red stickered was wondering if anyone could recommend a few places to go to get his feet wet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind driving to El Mirage OHV, just north of Wrightwood and Phelan. There is a huge dry lakebed miles in length. All the open riding room you can imagine and then some for your boy to start learning. Plus there are very simple flat dirt trails that connect to the lakebed for him to move to once he gets the basics down.

So I just picked up a PW50 for my son and I want to take him out riding as close to the house as possible. Since this is his first take at riding, I really just need an open area for him to get used to everything. I live near Pasadena and know of the normal popular spots, but given the bike is red stickered was wondering if anyone could recommend a few places to go to get his feet wet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gorman isn't too far from you. About 15 or 20 miles past Magic Mountain. not sure how acruate that was, but you get my drift. Not a bad place but gets pretty crouded on the weekends. they also have a 90cc or less track that he can pratice on. or, Barstow/Stoddard Wells. This is where my kids learned to ride their PW50. a lot of wide open area's and then some nice little trails that you can have him follow you on. In my experience, put a mirror on your bike so you don't have to keep looking back. I even had 2way radio set up so I can talk to them with a helmet headset for the first season. just till he gets to learn the way of the desert. Hand signals, where to stop and not to stop, etc... have fun. I just started ours after sitting for two years and it fired right up.

All great places to go.... I would take mine to Califronia City, lots of single trails in flat or hilly areas. Most of the time on non holiday weekends we could go for a 30-40 mile ride as they got older and would only run into a handfull of other riders.