Sign in to follow this  

Second Bike - CR125

Hey everybody. I recently got into bikes and have been riding a KE100 for a few months. It is a great bike and I have really been enjoying it but despite being pretty quick in the higher gears, it is very low on power and I knew I wanted something more.

A nice guy on this forum, cliffsherman, suggested I start looking for a 125 2 stroke. With winter coming up quickly here in Ohio, I thought now might be a good time to look for a good deal on a bike. Then I will have about 2 months to really ride it and the winter to work on it.

I had been searching craigslist daily and ran into a guy selling a 1986 LTR 250, 1986 CR 125, and a 1986 TRX 125. He said the CR ran well but would probably need a top end rebuild and the TRX ran but needed some work. I asked him what he wanted and said $1400 for the LTR. I told him I was really only interested in the CR and asked what he wanted for it. He told me to make him an offer so I told him I could do $450. I thought this was low but I figured I would start low and work up rather than starting too high. Well... He said yes to $450 AND told me to take the TRX because they are taking up too much of his space and he doesn't want them.

So I got a CR 125 and a TRX 125 for $450. I haven't seen them in person yet, but if they are like he says they are, I thought this was a pretty good deal.

What do you guys think about my choice for a second bike and the deal I got? Should I be as happy as I am?

For 450 I'd go for it as long as you know how to fix them.

That was my thinking. I do not actually know how to rebuild a top end yet, but I have about 5 months of winter to figure out how. Haha. I also have a grandpa who is a mechanic so I think I should be able to get it done no problem.

top end on a cr 125(or any two stroke) is a cake walk,if you can change oil you can do it. Get a manual, you tube it,or I'll give you detailed instructions. my ten year old son did the top end on his RM65 with very little help. Smokers are so simple, once you do it you will see what I mean

And it won't take you 5 months, you can really take your time and drag it out to 5 hours on your first one:ride:

Thanks for the help guys! Everywhere I have looked people have said a top end rebuild on a 2 stroke is a piece of cake so I think I'll be able to handle it. I think I'll look for a manual on ebay and Youtube it as well to make sure I get it right. Haha. I really like the looks for the CRs too and I'll try to post pics when I get it.

yep rebuilt my 85 in 2 hours. about 45 minutes to take a part a 15 minutes standing around talking and half an hour to put back together than 30 minutes of food and hockey then just tightening bolts and what not. Cheap too

post pics of bikes once you get them the old cr's look awesomee

Yeah, the CRs in the late 80s with those sloped seats are the best looking bikes in my opinion.