Sign in to follow this  

WR250R Tires and Brake questions

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but after two wash outs, and second guessing myself. I thought I would ask a couple questions. I'm riding a WR250R with stock deathwing tires...

I was riding in thick dusty conditions ( about 3 inches of dust at the time ). Traveling at about 15 MPH I hit the front brake. The front tire went sideways and I went over the top ( landing on my face ). This happened one more time at a slower speed.

First: I assume I need to adjust my front brake? That sucker stops you on a dime!!!

Second: Need to get real tires. What do you all think about the Maxxis desert for these dusty conditions?

Any advise would be wonderful (my confidence is in disarray)...

Thanks,

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but after two wash outs, and second guessing myself. I thought I would ask a couple questions. I'm riding a WR250R with stock deathwing tires...

Any advise would be wonderful (my confidence is in disarray)...

Thanks,

The WRR has to have strong brakes for street riding- there is nothing wrong there. From my own experiences, and from the accounts I've read from others, your experience of the "DeathWings" is NOT unique! My own DWs are 1/2 to 2/3 worn and are lethal in mud. They weren't much better when new. I'll have something else come springtime. There are many choices outlined on the WRR/X forums for these machines in the way of DOT knobbies and even DOT trials tires. Some are even running non-DOT tires. The answer is out there...

Thanks TBird1,

I was worried about the brakes. Glad you let me know, they are tight brakes (needed for street riding). After you posted, I started reading other tire posts on here. Some good stuff. I think I will go straight dirt tires until I get my confidence back. It's snow season soon anyway, so that will give me time to buy new plastic's (to repair my bike), and get new off road knobbies mounted up.

Thank you very much for your thoughts. Very helpful...

One finger on the brake.

Dunlop 606s.

Works for me. I never grab a handfull of brake unless I know the tire grips. And if it starts to skid, I let off.

The stock tires barely grip on dry pavement at seventy degrees. I can almost do a stoppie on hard packed dirt roads when I went to the 606 front. I have a very hard time making it slide. Even if it does wear fast, the traction is worth it.

High grip and short life beats hospital stays every time.