Sign in to follow this  

Beautiful day in the neighborhood...Dead bike 2005 DR200SE

Woke to a 65 degree sunny day in autumn...Jumped on the 2005 DR200SE and started it up and rode about 500 feet and it started sputtering and losing power. Finally it stalled and would not crank at all. Then I noticed no lights. Pushed it back to garage, peeled off the side covers and sure enough - main (20A) fuse blown. Suzuki conveniently included a spare. Checked battery - it was fine. Looked for any obvious shorted wires. Nothing visible. Put in spare fuse. Started right up. Revved fine. Jumped on and got to then end of driveway and started mis-firing/lost power again. Looked quickly at headlamp. It was barely glowing. Then it died and sure enough the main fuse blew again. Sooo,

any ideas from the TT experts? I am suspecting the regulator even though the fuse did not blow when I revved the engine, but did when I was on it (200lb load :-)). If the regulator failed in such a way as to short the positive to ground, I could see it acting like this. Never had a bike fail like this so not sure what it could be. Only other thing I can think of would be a shorted wire under the seat that only shorts when it has weight on it...

Help! Beautiful Day is slipping away :-(

Thanks,

Snarksdad

Started right up. Revved fine. Jumped on and got to then end of driveway and started mis-firing/lost power again.

May be a long shot but I've seen wires under the seat in bad condition short out when the riders weight is applied.

Replace the fuse and try riding it standing up and see what happens.

It's happened to me twice personally.

Thanks. Yeah, I am pretty sure that is what it is as it seems to blow the fuse (usually) when I sit on it and squeeze my legs with the engine running. Wires appear to be in good condition though. No obvious frays or bare wires showing. Harness sleeves look good too. I pulled the tie-wraps off and moved the cables around but I can't get it to happen unless I am sitting on it with the seat on...Glad I bought a 25 pak of fuses...

OK. Found it. In the words of Jimmy Buffet "It's my own damn fault..."

A couple of weeks ago I mounted a toolkit from an SP to the DR. The bolts I used were about a 1/2" too long and I did not notice the taillight wiring harness was tie wrapped right behind the toolkit mount bracket. Sure enough, one bolt had punctured the harness and was shorting a taillight wire to itself (ground)...