Sign in to follow this  

chewing through a set of pads in one race....!?!?!?

So I just changed both the rear and front brake pads on my newly acquired 2001 KTM 250 exc. I raced a hare scramble today and it appears that I wore through more than 1/2 of the pad life. I am using tusk sinterd metal pads on the rotors that were on the bike.

The wheels spin freely and the brakes engage/disengage quickly when the bike is on the stand and through out the race I didn't notice the brakes dragging or being reluctant to release. I feel like if they were locking up I would notice it...burning through brakes that fast is crazy. been running those pads on my RM for like 6 months and like 12 races.

I guess maybe its time I change the rotors and the pads...to eliminate the rotors as the problem.

My buddy actually rides his rear brake in a race and doesn't even know it check that.

yep, check the free play at the pedal to make sure you are inadvertently pressing the brake without knowing it.

it might be a ktm thing, i just got me a 12 sx 250, i know im heavy on the rears, but first set of rear pads lasted me 3hrs riding at the most, thru my second set now and im at 10hrs. Sand doesnt help this much either...

it might be a ktm thing, i just got me a 12 sx 250, i know im heavy on the rears, but first set of rear pads lasted me 3hrs riding at the most, thru my second set now and im at 10hrs. Sand doesnt help this much either...

conditions do affect wear, but I am running the same pads and getting several months out of them. I am often in mud and dirty, sandy water.

Mud and sand have a huge impact on my pad wear, especially rears. If I'm in a lot of muddy condition they wear at least twice as fast. I am hard on the rear brakes though...

alright...thanks guys!! I will check all those things and see what the issue is. I was very muddy, but 2 hrs of racing is FAST to go through a set of pads.