Sign in to follow this  

is the hinson stuff worth it?

is it really worth buying the complete hinson clutch setup..pressure plate, basket and inner hub? any where to get a good deal on the parts? or anyone have a hookup to some used stuff? just seems pretty expensive...i could see the basket being worth it after the stock one is chewed up...but the other stuff? maybe someone else has more experience on the matter?

Its worth it, especially if you plan on keeping your bike. Wiseco is also a great option and they come with a liftetime warranty.

• Like 1

nope

there is another brand (at least here in europe)

who has the same clutch, it's really as good as the hinson is

but at a much lower price

but... i can't remember the name at the moment...

sorry

In my 05RM250 I have a barnett basket, hinson hub and pressure plate, and EBC fibers/steels and springs. I went that way has I was able to find deals on the parts piecemeal as compared to the full hinson package price and felt the Barnett basket with the stainless inserts on the fingers was equivalent. Works great. I just installed a full hinson package in a buddy's 09CRF450 and he says its the best clutch action he has ever felt. So yeah, I think the Hinson components are top notch and if you are not in a hurry you can probably search around the find some decent pricing.

I put a wiseco basket in my 06CRF450 and used the stock hub and pressure plate and EBC steels, fibers and springs. Works good but not as smooth engagement as the Hinson package I put in my buddy's 09.

The only other thing I can say is that you should replace your clutch cable as well. Just a new cable can make a world of difference if your clutch is in decent condition.

i have a full hinson set up in my 05, the hard coat anodizing is wearing off and the finger on the basket are starting to notch along with the inner hub. Because of this i went for the barnett with the ss inserts on the basket on my 04, at least when they do you you can replace them....and they are showing slight wear after 1 season...

We have well over 200 hrs on a Hinson basket in an RM125, it shows signs of wear but still performs well. And our RM250 has about the same hours with a Performance Engineering basket, they appear to be wearing about the same. Never spent the big bucks on an aftermarket hub since the OEMs are only about $50. Both baskets have slight indents on the baskets fingers, but still perform well. That being said, next time I'd like to give the steel-insert baskets a try.

nope

sorry

I expect you are thinking of a Talon- fantastic quality baskets, my last one was still like new after 4 long seasons of riding. I have tried Hinson before & feel the Talon is better made, and also is cheaper too.

Hinson basket and pressure plate are great things for the RM. Pressure plate is stiffer and baskets lasts longer and oils better. As 2 strokes 4 ever said the inner hub isn't really worth the money. Cheapest I can find one is $210, MSRP of $300. OEM is like $65. You can replace a few for the price. I have a full Hinson in my WR and find the inner hub wears as fast as a stock one. Only advantage is the oiling holes, which I drill out on a stock hub anyways.

as far as basket goes, I have used hinson and they groove just as fast as oem. also on 05 crf 450 the kickstart gear was no longer tight after 40-50 hours, I called hinson and they said that it is common normal wear on this part of basket. Im putting a barnett in my 09 now!!

as far as basket goes, I have used hinson and they groove just as fast as oem

^^^ Not our experience^^^...

RM250- OEM basket shot within one season's riding. Performance Engineering basket has 200+hrs with signs of wear, but not bad yet.

RM125- Same as above (300+hrs), but with Hinson basket.

Aftermarket basket and pressure plate w/ good OEM hub and plates = a well-functioning clutch IMO :busted:

nope

sorry

Is maybe Prox?

Its worth it, especially if you plan on keeping your bike. Wiseco is also a great option and they come with a liftetime warranty.

why???? so it last longer and oils better is that it??? or is there somthing special because i never had a problem with the stock clutch in my CR250.

this stuff is good if your clutch goes and must be replaced. but other than that there like buying those boyseen factory racing clutch covers ..expensive as hell and no real need for it.

i had the full hinson setup on an RM125, i cracked a clutch plate and it nearly cut the $300 hinson hub in two!!!!

you can get the pro X inner hub for $40, i figure its cheaper to swap that out everytime i do the clutch. i also wore the hard anodizing off the hinson basket.

i like the wiseco stuff also.

IMO wiseco clutch parts are the way to go. how can you beat a lifetime warranty? I have the wiseco basket in my rm 125 with no signs of wear yet. When I get the money I will be getting the wiseco hub. I don't see a reason to buy the expensive pressure plate tho...

Edited by vamped400