Sign in to follow this  

How much difference is there in rebuilding bikes, cash wise

Money is starting to get tight. I ride a 09 crf250r and the other day i go to clean the airfilter and find some dirt inside :thumbsup: . Still have no idea from where it came from since i usually change the filter after every 2-3 rides. It got us thinking, what if something goes bad in the engine? We really have no idea how to fix a 4 stroke bike so it would go to our local mechanic. He charges $100/hour to fix bikes. How much do you think it would be if it had a bad failure where the top and bottom end go? How much for just the top or just the bottom or any other mechanical inside of it? I hear horror stories at times where people say they pay from $1000-3000. My dad has fixed 2 strokes in the past(used to ride) and so knows how to fix a 2 stroke, so for a few hundred bucks and no mechanic we could be back out without a problem, but if something goes wrong and its a 1000 or more dollar fix with the 4 stroke, well maybe I wont be riding for a while.

If you can work on a two stroke then you can work on a four stroke, there isn't much of a difference. The owner's manual will tell you what to do, other than that it is just nuts and bolts, just like a two stroke.

If you are paying a mechanic to do the work and you have a worst case scenario engine failure (Piston hits the head and rod goes out through the cases) then it is possible to end up paying over $3000 for the repair. No way to really answer this question since every engine failure is different, part prices vary, etc.

If you can work on a two stroke then you can work on a four stroke, there isn't much of a difference. The owner's manual will tell you what to do, other than that it is just nuts and bolts, just like a two stroke.

If you are paying a mechanic to do the work and you have a worst case scenario engine failure (Piston hits the head and rod goes out through the cases) then it is possible to end up paying over $3000 for the repair. No way to really answer this question since every engine failure is different, part prices vary, etc.

Theres just so much inside 4 strokes engines though that makes everything more complex. its intimidating and theres a lot more stuff that can go wrong with the bike. The only time we've ever went into the 4 strokes engine was to check the valves and change a spark plug.

4 strokes are kinda a pain in the ass, but if you/your dad can fix a 2t you can fix a 4t. Just buy the manual and be sure to read how to fix what breaks before you start. There is some big brains in this forum so these guys could talk you through anything if you got a manual.

Thats for sure a lot of these guys have helped me tons with stuff like deceleration pops and suspension. As for fixing ourselves The only thing we've done with the 2 strokes was the top end. The number one thing were afraid of is ending up making a stupid mistake and destroying something else or even messing up all the new parts we put in for just one mistake.

Theres just so much inside 4 strokes engines though that makes everything more complex. its intimidating and theres a lot more stuff that can go wrong with the bike. The only time we've ever went into the 4 strokes engine was to check the valves and change a spark plug.

Below the head a four stroke is pretty much the same as a two stroke. The only difference between changing a two stroke top end and a four stroke top end is that you need to remove the cams to take the head off of a four stroke. Other than that they are really pretty similar.