Sign in to follow this  

Any Intermittent Problems with 08 450EXC?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying an 08 450EXC-R. It's owned by a car mechanic who knows the importance of maintenance. He's changed the engine oil every 500kms with Motul fully synthetic double esther 300V and the transmission oil every 2000kms. New air filter after every ride (400-500kms) and once a year it has been taken to the KTM dealer for valve checks, leakage tests, full service etc..

The bike has 8500kms (240 hours) on it and was mainly used off-road. I'm looking at buying it just to zip around town on. I might do a little bit of off-road too but mainly on-road (no high speed stuff, 80km/h max).

A few questions:

a) Is there a difference between the EXC and EXC-R?

:thumbsup: Are there any problems common with the 08 450EXC? Anything I should particularly look at? If maintained properly should the engine still be fine with 8500kms?

c) I believe the 08 450EXC is a different model from the 04-07 model and is the same from 08-10. Correct?

d) The bike has aftermarket gearing. Will this affect the speedo at all or does the speedo pick up from the wheel? Reason I ask is because I'm only on my P's so I'd prefer to have an idea of what speed I'm doing.

e) If I get the bike I'll use fully synthetic oil. Is the engine oil (+ filter) per 500km and transmission oil per 2000km about right in terms of frequency of servicing?

Cheers

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying an 08 450EXC-R. It's owned by a car mechanic who knows the importance of maintenance. He's changed the engine oil every 500kms with Motul fully synthetic double esther 300V and the transmission oil every 2000kms. New air filter after every ride (400-500kms) and once a year it has been taken to the KTM dealer for valve checks, leakage tests, full service etc..

The bike has 8500kms (240 hours) on it and was mainly used off-road. I'm looking at buying it just to zip around town on. I might do a little bit of off-road too but mainly on-road (no high speed stuff, 80km/h max).

A few questions:

a) Is there a difference between the EXC and EXC-R?

:thumbsup: Are there any problems common with the 08 450EXC? Anything I should particularly look at? If maintained properly should the engine still be fine with 8500kms?

c) I believe the 08 450EXC is a different model from the 04-07 model and is the same from 08-10. Correct?

d) The bike has aftermarket gearing. Will this affect the speedo at all or does the speedo pick up from the wheel? Reason I ask is because I'm only on my P's so I'd prefer to have an idea of what speed I'm doing.

e) If I get the bike I'll use fully synthetic oil. Is the engine oil (+ filter) per 500km and transmission oil per 2000km about right in terms of frequency of servicing?

Cheers

A) no difference. KTM renamed the 08 the EXC-R. There is no 08 EXC

:ride: the only issue I know of is the oil transfer problem. research it on here. "KTM oil transfer"

C) correct.

D) shouldn't affect the spedo. I believe it registers off of the front tire rotation. Still have the 21" front?

E) You will get a multitude of different answers on this one. Should depend on your riding style. Some guys change the oil after every 100 miles. Just remember, you can't change the oil too often. so in short, up to you.