Sign in to follow this  

Florida Surprises at PaX (some new changes)

Go up there Sunday to just remember how to ride the Honda and I got a few surprises thanX to them making some wierd ass changes to the track that I don't get (Imagine me tooling along thinking its the same ole track and then WHOA what the :thumbsup:). One is the "hairpin" kinda turn just after the first left turn and then the other is the severe off camber after the string of tables in the middle. I saw many issues riders were having with these including myself and I kept saying to myself what were they thinking???

Oh well, thank goodness the hip was acting up and I had an excuse to leave.

Don:thumbsup:

I know about the off camber turn. With the berm most people were taking the inside line there but at least there was an option to go around the outside before. Now there is only one line through there.

Where is the "hairpin"? Is it over there after the entrance to the intermediate track?

Don,

Should have gone to Bithlo with us yesterday. It was our first time on the new layout. Steeper/taller jump faces and a few new twists.

One thing they still need to figure out is if they are going to make it one track or two. Actually there was a third section most people skipped that had some SX style whoops. A lot of people were using a short cut to just ride the front half of the track instead of going to the back. As I mentioned there was even another section you could get onto that was added to the back but most people skipped it. It was rather strange to merge back into the front track coming over Mt. Bithlo, and at a high speed, only to see riders coming at you from the left to merge in with you. The new layout, if you ride the whole track, is fast and better for the big bikes.

Lot of people showed up and Tara Gieger was there too. She hit the big table to table (100ft) with no problem and the table to single before the turn to the finish line jump.

Mark C

I was there sunday to.

That hairpin turn is wild I was like in 1st gear all the way around it :ride:

I took my daughter out on the big track about 3:00 or so and she took a big dive in it :thumbsup:

I was parked in the back by the intermediate track in a big dodge truck

Wish I knew you were there I would of came by and said hi.

We go every sat or sun up to pax.

Let me know the next time and Ill stop by

Ron.

Come from the start gate, go straight, over jump, make left at first berm go over small uphill jump then another then HAIRPIN back right onto the normal track that was.

Ron,

I go there every once in a while and park right near the main building and get there right as they open and usually ride till about noon (or the body tells me otherwise).

Mark,

Its pretty much the same track no matter how you slice it up. Its either a top notch mini'sh rider course or a decent big bike course. I give Bithlo credit that they DO change the dang thing though (ever seen Reddick, Gatorback or Hard rock change?) but I just get tired of it sometimes.

I used to hate it when JRo would show up there - she wipped my butt many times in FTR MX but she was at least cordial enough to talk to me.

Found this on youtube

Looks like they want to slow that track down.

motoT,

Yep, that video clearly depicts what I was describing. I still don't like the changes but ....

Lumpy,

I was doing that, just didn't expect it and was totally surprised. It's not like I do stupid things anymore (I gave that up just last year:smirk:).

You bought a KTM, really, nothing stupid lately. I out did you last weekend. Had a 4 wheeler turn in front of me right at the lift off over the water tower. Crashed over the top and rolled half way down the other side.

Dan,

Ah, I remember mine during that fateful FTR MX race in 2006,,,,seeems just like yesterday (And Jim Edgar didn't get a photo when he was right at the top watching it go down. Poor '03 Honda hads lots of injuries that day. Me, I got up and rode it back to the pits and left.

Don

btw, hope you and Kawi are okay!!!

Went back yesterday and rode the Florida Vintage races, rode the modern bike plus 40 class and beat Bigalow in the 1st moto and had a flat in the 2nd. I guess the kawa and me are doing ok. I may be done riding in the woods since I can't keep my head away from the trees. Not sure yet.

Do they run your race (Modern bike 40 +) on the Vintage (Outback) track or on the Main/Pro track?

That Outback track is hard as concrete not suprised you got a flat. The Main track is a lot of hard pack too but not quite as bad. I actually like the sand track if it has been groomed.

Now it makes sense about your crash with the 4 wheeler near the water tower. That is a long way to tumble down! :thumbsup:

Mark C

They run all the races on the main track. It is really a lot of fun to see the old bikes that we rode as kids. Some guys really fly on the 80 era bikes, wow I'm old. I want to buy one. Rubber band start even for the modern bikes. Everyone is really friendly.

I talked to a guy the last time I was there who had a couple of Bultacos (yeah I am old too). He raced the Vintage series and told me about the modern bike classes. Seemed like a good/fun series. I watch some of the Evo class bikes that run the FRT HS series and it is cool to see the old Huskys, Maicos, etc... out there. However the jap bikes are still the most common. A lot of guys run the CR 500 and YZ 490. I even saw a guy racing a museum quality DKW 125.

I can "ride" the main track but not much at jumping. I can clear a few of the shorter jumps but have a lot of fun (especially the gravity cavity). I like the elevation changes but wish they would build some berms or "bowls" in the turns. Most of them are flat hard pack. I also ride the HS loop (new one is a lot better) and turn a few laps on the sand track. At one point someone was promoting a GP series that would combine the MX tracks and HS loops together as a race. Not sure what happened but that sounded interesting.

Mark C