Sign in to follow this  

not sure what to do, need opinions

I haven't posted on this fourm much bit I have a few questions.

I own a 02 yz 426. This thing is way to strong of a bike for inexperience and lack of riding time. I have been thinking of selling it and getting either a 250 or 300 two stroke ktm so I can have a lot less power on the bottom end. I just trail ride I'm 5'11 and 210 lbs. Any and all opinions welcomed.

thanks

ktm 300 smoker will probably blow the wheels of that 426. So if less power is what your looking for then thats not the answer.. 300 is probably the best all around trail bike though.

I rode a 250 exw ktm and loved how mellow the bottom end was but being a heavy rider the top seemed a little weak to me compaired to my 426.

I'm just wondering in compairson of the 300 vs the 426 is the bottom end weaker on the 300? I don't want all that tourque on the bottom like the 426, I'd rather have smooth building power from bottom to top. The 426 to me pulls like a mule off the idle.

thanks for the quick responses...

The 300 has mountains of torque down low and once that powervalve opens its like a freight train. For me its the best motor to have in the woods, but I also learned to ride on one so I have learnt to use the power to my advantage. I havent ridden a 426 but its probably has a little less down low torque than the newer FI 450 bikes.

If you dont think the 250 smoker has enough top end the 300 will def have enough for you. When tuned correctly. Have you considered a 350 four stroke? Smooth down low power, almost no arm ripping snap and plenty of power up top.

I rode a 250 exw ktm and loved how mellow the bottom end was but being a heavy rider the top seemed a little weak to me compaired to my 426.

I'm just wondering in compairson of the 300 vs the 426 is the bottom end weaker on the 300? I don't want all that tourque on the bottom like the 426, I'd rather have smooth building power from bottom to top. The 426 to me pulls like a mule off the idle.

thanks for the quick responses...

I owned a "trailized" 99 YZ400F and I currently own a 2001 WR426 and a 2007 KTM 300 XC, so I may have some info to share. As mentioned, the 300 is a low end torque monster...I can chug around like any 4 stroke. BUT, when you gas it and the power valve opens, you had better be hanging on. The good thing about the 300 is that it is very tunable, you can smooth out the hit with a few simple adjustments. I have owned many bikes and the 300 is the best trail bike of them all. My WR has a few simple mods and probably isnt far from the power of a YZ. I love the smooth linear power of the WR, but the bike is a tank compared to the KTM. The handling of the KTM is much better. It has a lower center of gravity and its about 30 lbs lighter than the WR.

You are probably in the minority...not wanting all of the torque on the bottom...thats what most trail riders live for, so a recommendation is difficult. You might try to test ride a WR 450....or maybe a 300 if you can deal with a little snap.

I owned a "trailized" 99 YZ400F and I currently own a 2001 WR426 and a 2007 KTM 300 XC, so I may have some info to share. As mentioned, the 300 is a low end torque monster...I can chug around like any 4 stroke. BUT, when you gas it and the power valve opens, you had better be hanging on. The good thing about the 300 is that it is very tunable, you can smooth out the hit with a few simple adjustments. I have owned many bikes and the 300 is the best trail bike of them all. My WR has a few simple mods and probably isnt far from the power of a YZ. I love the smooth linear power of the WR, but the bike is a tank compared to the KTM. The handling of the KTM is much better. It has a lower center of gravity and its about 30 lbs lighter than the WR.

You are probably in the minority...not wanting all of the torque on the bottom...thats what most trail riders live for, so a recommendation is difficult. You might try to test ride a WR 450....or maybe a 300 if you can deal with a little snap.

That is exactly what I am looking for, a little less down low with a slow building of power as the rpm gets higher, and a hit up top. I've never owned a KTM and I am still learning riding style.

thanks for all the help its greatly appreiciated.:thumbsup::worthy: